Would a rug make any difference to sound quality?

Aslan

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I live in a flat with large glass windows, marble flooring, concrete walls and a concrete ceiling. Apart from a leather couch and a few small cushions, there are no soft furnishings in my flat.

There are no dividing walls between the sitting room, dining area and the kitchen. It is all one long room around 800 sq. ft in size.

The acoustics in my flat aren't great and I would like to make some simple adjustments. I was thinking of buying a rug to place between the couch and the speakers. I read that a rug made of wool would be better at absorbing sound than synthetic materials.

Do you think that adding a 6ft x 6ft wool rug will make any difference? I am a bit worried about spending a couple of hundred quid and getting no improvement.

I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions.

Aslan

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Suggest you take it as far as you can live with. I suspect 'just a rug' will not have a huge effect but experiment maybe with old blankets & quilts ?? Sounds a bit naff but it may give you the answer - Is spending £XXXX worth it.

Pix & details may help as always

Aslan

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Thank very much for your thoughts.

I tried uploading a photo but could not work it out.

I will try a few blankets to start with but I think I will give the rug a shot. Even if it only makes an ounce of difference I will be pleased.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Anything that you can do to make the room less reflective and "live", the better.

Carpets, curtains, soft furnishings, plants, bookcases, canvas paintings, linen type rugs/tapistries on the wall etc.

If you clap your hands in the room, you don't want to hear an echo or reverb.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Leather Couches reflect sound as well you will be dismayed to know - sorry about that ....

Material all the way for sofas

Your best bet is to try a rug and try and sit as close to the speakers as you can and off the back wall, with a good amount of toe in, then hopefully the reflecting walls will be far enough away not to effect too much. But high reverb in that room is inevitable especially with bass - some eq for the bass will definately help

Aslan

May 1, 2011
Visit site
The rug has just arrived. It has definitely made a difference, especially with the bass :clap:

Even my wife noticed the difference so it shouldn't just be my imagination playing games.

I think my next step will be to change my thin curtains for something a bit thicker.

Thanks for everyones' suggestions :)

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
have a look at these Genelec guides. Tehy will give you some background knowledge and also help underrstand what to do and where to do it e.g. where to hang some artwork serving as absorbing surfaces - which is another thing you can do.

before you buy anyhting you can try hanging some blankets in those locations to see what the likely effect will be.

http://www.genelec.com/learning-center/presentations-tutorials/placingloudspeakers/

http://www.genelec.com/documents/catalogues/Genelec_Monitor_Setup_Guide_2011.pdf

my other house has hardwood floors, i put a rug down, and it made a dramatic difference.

my new house is fully carpeted, and the room is bigger, it has taken months for me to get used to the sound.

i'm using exactly the same components as before and the sound is completely different.

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
+1

Invest into some bespoke art acoustic panels. With nice pictures on them these panels won't spoile your large room, and also will help to control sound reflections.
grin.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts