Worth upgrading Denon D-M38DAB to Marantz PM6005?

mrjww

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi, any help with this is much appreciated!

I'm getting back into actually spending time listening to music and am trying work out where best to spend money.

Currently I have a Rega RP1 turntable going into a Denon D-M38 mini system, which runs Dali Zenzor 1 speakers. I also have a Sonos Connect going to the Denon, I rarely listen to CDs.

Do you know if upgrading to a Marantz PM6005 amplifier would be worthwhile? Would it be much of an improvement over the small Denon when playing records, or high quality streams through Sonos? I could well be wrong, but it seems like the Denon might be a weak link in the system at the moment.

Cheers!

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you'll hear much of a change with those speakers, but if you want to hear for yourself then those components are widely stocked at dealers. I have done a very similar audition myself and went with the Denon over the more expensive and more powerful Marantz.

If you must upgrade, I'd look at the speakers first.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes..... Is the short answer.

I'd also suggest going for the partnering CDplayer.

The 38dab is what it is. Your speakers will also benefit from the better amplification and you'll rediscover your CD collection.

We have a 38dab in the house and while it is a decent unit for a teenagers bedroom, it is limited with regard its hifi-ness if you intend to get 'serious' about your music.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Jame5 said:
The right honourable member disagrees.  Go have a listen and all will become clear.

Lol..... I have listened.

My daughter's 38dab is connected to a pair of jpw monitors -75watt@8ohm handling - it sounds fine (the attenuation on the volume dial is uneven, the unit jumping from quite to loud in one step aside)

I've heard the jpw's on better amplification they're competent.

In terms of sound its not great, it's power rating me thinks is exaggerated.

It's a bedroom/kitchen system and should not be mistaken for 'serious' hifi. Even at the budget end.

But we can agree to disagree.... :-D

I'd say take the step and get the pm6005 it'll be a big improvement....imo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts