Worth subscribing?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Got my Aug issue a few days ago through the post...

Just checked the website this morning and it looks like some of the reviews are on here already.

At this rate I think it may not be worth me subscribing next year.

jules.

A

Anonymous

I guess that would depend on whether this site can sustain itself through advertising, or if it is part-funded by profits of the magazine. If the latter, then not subscribing may result in no website and forum to enjoy. Still, I imagine that all the eventualities were taken into account when deciding what content to put on the website and when it should appear in relation to the magazine.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I suppose it depends how and when you read. I prefer reading the magazine to the website, often in places where I couldn't be online or it's impractical to be (e.g. on the train or just before going to sleep). Having the reviews online is great though for those times when you need quick access to a review and you're not within reaching distance of the magazine.

A

Anonymous

what if theres a free gift?!!! that always suckers me in

T

the record spot

It depends what you buy it for - I took my subscription out back in 1997 or '98 - the mag's changed a lot since then, but it's still got a decent amount of hifi in it which has gone up since about two years back when it seemed to be overrun by big improbably sized tellies (and improbably priced too)!

It has a good new products section and the product guide is very useful at the back. Readers questions are far too small though; you get about four questions on hi-fi and part of those two pages go towards going towards "Instant Expert" which repeats itself far too frequently and could be ditched, or made less frequent by devoting more space to letters or emails. This applies to the other help sections too though.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:It depends what you buy it for - I took my subscription out back in 1997 or '98 - the mag's changed a lot since then, but it's still got a decent amount of hifi in it which has gone up since about two years back when it seemed to be overrun by big improbably sized tellies (and improbably priced too)!

It has a good new products section and the product guide is very useful at the back. Readers questions are far too small though; you get about four questions on hi-fi and part of those two pages go towards going towards "Instant Expert" which repeats itself far too frequently and could be ditched, or made less frequent by devoting more space to letters or emails. This applies to the other help sections too though.

I think this is partly due to the need to attract the casual newsagent browser and partly due to the change in the marketplace, where even once hairshirt companies like Naim and Linn are making DVD systems, Hard Drive Music servers and providing digital downloads.

I considered cancelling my subscription during the "all big telly" phase, but as yet haven't found any of the alternatives that I like more than WHF. However, with ten years of back issues cluttering my bedroom I may have to bite the bullet at the end of this year and stop my subcription in favour of the Ultimate Guide to HiFi, particularly as almost every issue this year has had a televison on the front cover.

A

Anonymous

the record spot wrote the following post at Thu, Jul 03 2008 9:00 PM:

"It has a good new products section and the product guide is very useful at the back. Readers questions are far too small though; you get about four questions on hi-fi and part of those two pages go towards going towards "Instant Expert" which repeats itself far too frequently and could be ditched, or made less frequent by devoting more space to letters or emails. This applies to the other help sections too though."

Seconded

matthewpiano

I subscribe to HFC (GASP!!!) and find it more consistently interesting on a hi-fi level. HOWEVER, WHFS&V gives an excellent all-round view of the consumer electronics/audio-visual market and I continue to have great respect for most of their reviewing. I think the magazine was better in the late 80s/early 90s, but things move on and magazines (like any institution or business) have to adapt to survive.

TRENDING THREADS