wish to listen to 5.1 sacd through my onkyo sr608 receiver.

foz1969

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
hi all, bit of advice needed. Sacd's, just bought some, i don't have a blu ray player yet, but have seen that some play the sacd format. After some research, i'm more confused now that before. HDMI, multi analog, DSD to PCM, hats....etc etc. So, question is, will/how would sacd's exit my Onkyo 806. thanks for any advice.

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Your receiver accepts DSD signals over HDMI. So all you need is a BD player that plays SACDs and that ouput the DSD signal over HDMI. Your receiver will decode the DSD signal.

BluRay players that come to mind are the CA 651BD, Denon 1713UD, Pioneer BDP-150...

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
As well as the models listed above, please don't forget to add certain Sony players to the list, after all they did co-develop the format ( along with Philips ).

Happy listening.

:bounce:

foz1969

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
thanks for the quick replies, now feel even dumber. thing is, i read on other forums that the hdmi lead gives a great sound, BUT... it's not the real deal, maybe like the HD sky-box thing, that required you to use digI coax lead, but then i read that the coax lead can't handle the band widths. I understand more than the average guy about AV, but, conflicting ideas leave me wondering if i need an amp with analog inputs. Unemployed at the mo', don't wish to sell/exchange my 608 if i can help it. Not for the sake of afew sacds. Please, don't misunderstand me, i'm not saying i doubt your advice, just that....i'm confused .com

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
foz1969 said:
thanks for the quick replies, now feel even dumber. thing is, i read on other forums that the hdmi lead gives a great sound, BUT... it's not the real deal, maybe like the HD sky-box thing, that required you to use digI coax lead, but then i read that the coax lead can't handle the band widths. I understand more than the average guy about AV, but, conflicting ideas leave me wondering if i need an amp with analog inputs. Unemployed at the mo', don't wish to sell/exchange my 608 if i can help it. Not for the sake of afew sacds. Please, don't misunderstand me, i'm not saying i doubt your advice, just that....i'm confused .com

Why wouldn't the HDMI lead be the real deal? The only advantage to analog cables would be if the DAC in the SACD player is better than that in the amp. One HDMI cable is a lot more convenient (and cheaper unless you are mad) than 6 analog cables. I use an HDMI cable from my Oppo 83 to my Onkyo 875 and it works fine. Changing your amp for this would be a waste of money. Rejoice, the easy solution is the best!

foz1969

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
thank you.

bit dated i know, but may be useful to someone.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1230824/list-of-av-receivers-pre-pros-with-pure-dsd-to-analog-processing

T

the record spot

You'll get the right SACD if you're player and receiver can stream the native DSD signal via HDMI. The only other way to get SACD is to use the analogue interconnects. Forget coax or optical, they won't work. HDMI, analogue or forget it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts