Wireless streaming system with Q 3050

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I want to buy my first "proper" sound setup and I'm looking for something capable of wirelessly playing music from my mobile devices and services such as Spotify and Deezer, as well as from my PC. After reading reviews, forum posts and checking the local shops, I've decided to go with the Q Acoustics 3050 speakers.

I'm now looking for the rest, and I'm confused:

* should I get a regular AMP and a Sonos Connect (or some alternative)?

* should I get a network receiver such as the new Onkyo TX-8150 http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/products/tx-8150-126088.html ? I've seen that there aren't many network receivers with Wifi built in

* should I get an AV receiver such as the Yamaha ones since they have wifi and media streaming built in? But I don't plan on upgrading to more than a stereo system, and these support way more channels than I need.

Also - I'm not sure how powerful of an amp I need; Looking at the other forum topic related to this (http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/what-ampfiller-q-acoustics-3050), I see the suggested marantz amp is around 50W. The Q Acoustics website mentions "25-100W".

Regarding budget, I'm thinking about max 600 Euro (not including the speakers), but I'm not sure if that budget would be overkill since I understand that the 3050 are rather "entry level" speakers.

Thanks!

Mihnea DB said:
Hello,

I want to buy my first "proper" sound setup and I'm looking for something capable of wirelessly playing music from my mobile devices and services such as Spotify and Deezer, as well as from my PC. After reading reviews, forum posts and checking the local shops, I've decided to go with the Q Acoustics 3050 speakers.

I'm now looking for the rest, and I'm confused:

* should I get a regular AMP and a Sonos Connect (or some alternative)?

* should I get a network receiver such as the new Onkyo TX-8150 http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/products/tx-8150-126088.html ? I've seen that there aren't many network receivers with Wifi built in

* should I get an AV receiver such as the Yamaha ones since they have wifi and media streaming built in? But I don't plan on upgrading to more than a stereo system, and these support way more channels than I need.

Also - I'm not sure how powerful of an amp I need; Looking at the other forum topic related to this (http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/what-ampfiller-q-acoustics-3050), I see the suggested marantz amp is around 50W. The Q Acoustics website mentions "25-100W".

Regarding budget, I'm thinking about max 600 Euro (not including the speakers), but I'm not sure if that budget would be overkill since I understand that the 3050 are rather "entry level" speakers.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

Not too sure what you are trying to achieve but surely what you require could be accomplished without Sonus or amp by buying something along the lines of Dali Kubik Free and / or the Kubik Xtra active speaker system.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I would look for a second hand amp, a Leema Pulse, or a Rega Brio R and a Sonos Connect. The Marantz new has a DAC so you could use a Fire TV for Spotify Connect. The speakers are superb for the money.

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
I would look for a second hand amp, a Leema Pulse, or a Rega Brio R and a Sonos Connect. The Marantz new has a DAC so you could use a Fire TV for Spotify Connect. The speakers are superb for the money.

I'm not sure about the hifi second hand market in my country, so I'm mostly looking at buying something new. What Marantz is that?

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the reply! Indeed, an "all in one" wireless speaker would do what I'm interested in. The Dali Kubik free does not support wifi, and I'd want that feature. In this space, the new Sony SRS-X99 looks really interesting but I haven't found any reviews yet. Any opinions?

http://www.sony.com/electronics/wireless-speakers/srs-x99

Also, I'm not really sure if I would be better off with such an all in one solution vs a full setup with floor speakers and whatnot.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Marantz PM6005 £299

If you want a one box solution I would go with the Sonos Play5 or the Bluesound Pulse they will give you upgrade ability in future software updates long after you have thrown the Sony in the bin! If you stretch to a Naim Muso that would be the way to go. Or some Actice speakers from Q Acoustics or cheaper Adam-Audio these to will offer you better sound and still remain simple.

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Marantz PM6005 £299

If you want a one box solution I would go with the Sonos Play5 or the Bluesound Pulse they will give you upgrade ability in future software updates long after you have thrown the Sony in the bin! If you stretch to a Naim Muso that would be the way to go. Or some Actice speakers from Q Acoustics or cheaper Adam-Audio these to will offer you better sound and still remain simple.

I'm not clear on what the pros of a setup such as Q Acoustics 3050 + M-CR610 (or the Yamaha RX-V479) are vs a one box solution. Any tips?

I've looked at the Play5 initially but I figured it might be already "outdated" (although I don't know how often they update the software!) and that I should maybe look at newer products? The pulse seems good but at around the same money (through a discount) I could get the Beoplay A6 - wouldn't that be a better option?

Thanks!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The Onkyo TX8050/8150, Yamaha RN301/500 will all do what you want assuming you are happy with a wired connection from any of these devices to your router.

Personally I like the RN500, but check the functionality and get the one that suites you.

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
The Onkyo TX8050/8150, Yamaha RN301/500 will all do what you want assuming you are happy with a wired connection from any of these devices to your router.

Personally I like the RN500, but check the functionality and get the one that suites you.

The TX8150 really looks promising, especially since it also supports Deezer (which I currently use). Could you maybe help me with a few words on a speakers + network player setup vs an all in one? Thanks!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The 8150 is a newer model with less functionality than the older model and generally a less 'solid' build.

Not that Onkyo will say that, they will focus on 'improved' capabilities such as the Deezer connection. Depending on price I would look at the older model with Spotify Connect, currently the 'all round' best streaming solution (in my view).

The 'one box' alternative is not where I would want to go, I like two speakers and am entirely happy with that. If you are going to stick with Deezer and stream everything from an iThing, then the Kef X300 would be an interesting option at about £800 (uk). No other hardware required, just an internet connection and everything streams over Airplay.

If you are of an Android persuasion, then the similarly priced Dali Kubik + Free does a similar job using Bluetooth AptX.

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Oh, I'm surprised about that. I've found the new Yamaha R-N602 at a price that is within my budget (if I maybe stretch a bit). It also has Wifi, which I would want. Do you think that's the best option?

Thanks!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mihnea DB said:
Oh, I'm surprised about that. I've found the new Yamaha R-N602 at a price that is within my budget (if I maybe stretch a bit). It also has Wifi, which I would want. Do you think that's the best option?

Thanks!

The R-N602 is very new to the UK and I have not seen one.

it looks like the next model (or 2) up from the R-N301, a lot is made of the new "MusicCast" feature and though the functionality is great, it is, to me, quite expensive particularly if you keep the setup relatively simple. It depends on your market but in the UK it costs £499 whilst the older R-N500 can be had for around £300.

Personally I would connect the receiver to the router by cable, I am more comfortable with that so the R-N500 would be my choice. If you really want or need to connect to your router wirelessly then I guess the R-N602 is the model for you.

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
Mihnea DB said:

Thanks!

it looks like the next model (or 2) up from the R-N301, a lot is made of the new "MusicCast" feature and though the functionality is great, it is, to me, quite expensive particularly if you keep the setup relatively simple. It depends on your market but in the UK it costs £499 whilst the older R-N500 can be had for around £300.

Personally I would connect the receiver to the router by cable, I am more comfortable with that so the R-N500 would be my choice. If you really want or need to connect to your router wirelessly then I guess the R-N602 is the model for you.

In the local market I can preorder the R-N602 for £45 more than the price of the R-N500. However, I could order the R-N500 from amazon.de for considerably less.

I guess I can also use a cable to connect the receiver, it's more about convenience.

Overall, I guess I've reached a conclusion - Q 3050 and R-N500. Should I change anything? BTW - I'm not sure but I think I have to buy wires to plug the speakers into the receivers? Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mihnea DB said:
davedotco said:
Mihnea DB said:

Thanks!

In the local market I can preorder the R-N602 for £45 more than the price of the R-N500. However, I could order the R-N500 from amazon.de for considerably less.

I guess I can also use a cable to connect the receiver, it's more about convenience.

Overall, I guess I've reached a conclusion - Q 3050 and R-N500. Should I change anything? BTW - I'm not sure but I think I have to buy wires to plug the speakers into the receivers? Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

You need to check the functionality of the two receivers very carefully, the '602 does a lot more, dig through the details and find out what you will or will not use. My own requirements are pretty simple, Spotify Connect, a handful of radio stations and Airplay, hence the '500 for me.

I do not need the wireless or multiroom capabilites, the Bluetooth in/out or any of the other things the new model does. The '500 seems more solid and better built than the newer 301, generally I think that is a good sign, but I have not seen a 602 in the flesh.

Speaker cables should be decent quality 2.5 mm sq, depends what is available to you. In the UK, Van Damme Blue 2.5mm costs £3-4 per meter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts