Wireless speakers under $500.

athani

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking to buy wireless speakers capable of playing music from my iPhone and iPad. Portability is not important as I will be using it in my bedroom. Good sound is what I care about. However, given my budget, I don't expect anything near audiophile quality sound.

I'm thinking of the Bose Soundlink Mini, Harman Kardon Soundsticks Wireless and Cambridge Audio Minx Go.

Are there any other speakers/type of speakers I should be looking at? Which shall I buy?

Thanks!

Welcome athani. Unfortunately we don't know your local pricing but there are many useful reviews on this site.

http://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/wireless-speakers

Those you list are worth a listen. You will see I have Audio Pro, and if you wanted stereo with two speakers then Audioengine us where I would head. The market us flooded now, so make sure you try before you buy.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
athani said:
I'm looking to buy wireless speakers capable of playing music from my iPhone and iPad. Portability is not important as I will be using it in my bedroom. Good sound is what I care about. However, given my budget, I don't expect anything near audiophile quality sound.

I'm thinking of the Bose Soundlink Mini, Harman Kardon Soundsticks Wireless and Cambridge Audio Minx Go.

Are there any other speakers/type of speakers I should be looking at? Which shall I buy?

Thanks!

Do you have an Apple network, ie can you use an Airport Express?

If you can then this opens up endless possibilities.

athani

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Welcome athani. Unfortunately we don't know your local pricing but there are many useful reviews on this site.

http://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/wireless-speakers

Those you list are worth a listen. You will see I have Audio Pro, and if you wanted stereo with two speakers then Audioengine us where I would head. The market us flooded now, so make sure you try before you buy.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Audio Pro seems interesting but sadly, way over my budget.

athani

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
athani said:

Thanks!

What is Airport Express? I do have an iPhone and a Windows PC with iTunes.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
athani said:
davedotco said:
athani said:

Thanks!

An Airport Express is a wireless base station that allows streaming. It works well with other Apple products/iTunes, but also consider the cheaper and just as capable Roku streamer.

Plug either of those into a pair of active speakers, such as Yamahas HS7 or Fostex PM0.5d and you will have far better sound quality than the all in one speakers that you have listed in your first post. Other similar speakers abound, take your pick. Look in your local pro audio store for more details.

They will give you 'audiophile' sound aplenty.

athani

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Overdose said:
athani said:
davedotco said:
athani said:

Thanks!

An Airport Express is a wireless base station that allows streaming. It works well with other Apple products/iTunes, but also consider the cheaper and just as capable Roku streamer.

Plug either of those into a pair of active speakers, such as Yamahas HS7 or Fostex PM0.5d and you will have far better sound quality than the all in one speakers that you have listed in your first post. Other similar speakers abound, take your pick. Look in your local pro audio store for more details.

Many thanks! I shall consider the Airport Express and better stereo speakers.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
athani said:
davedotco said:
athani said:

Thanks!

An AEX and a pair of small actives are the obvious solution for streaming from iThings but I have no idea if it can be integrated into a windows system.

Maybe there is an alternative, not really my area of expertise.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
Overdose said:
athani said:
davedotco said:
athani said:

Thanks!

An AEX and a pair of small actives are the obvious solution for streaming from iThings but I have no idea if it can be integrated into a windows system.

The linkup between a windows machine and the AEX, is iTunes (Assuming a wireless capable Pc of course).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
davedotco said:
Overdose said:
athani said:
davedotco said:
athani said:

Thanks!

The linkup between a windows machine and the AEX, is iTunes (Assuming a wireless capable Pc of course).

Sorry for the diversion, but can you expand on this?

Ie, how do you set up an AEX on a windows machine, if you can then stream from iTunes on the PC can you then stream from any source on an iThing.

Technology wise I live in an all Apple universe, it would be nice to know how the options work.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
Overdose said:

Ie, how do you set up an AEX on a windows machine, if you can then stream from iTunes on the PC can you then stream from any source on an iThing.

Technology wise I live in an all Apple universe, it would be nice to know how the options work.

Not quite sure what you mean here, but to setup an AEX on Windows, there is a free utility download.

When using an iOS device and using the AEX, you stream to the AEX, this can be any audio.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
davedotco said:
Overdose said:

Not quite sure what you mean here, but to setup an AEX on Windows, there is a free utility download.

When using an iOS device and using the AEX, you stream to the AEX, this can be any audio.

I think this is what I was after.....*yes3*

So if the AEX is setup on the network using the utility mentioned, you can then stream from iTunes on the PC and from any iThing in the normal way, correct?

This opens a lot of options, the AEX is cheap enough, you just need a suitable cable to whatever speakers you fancy. The Yamaha HS5 may be one of the easier models to source, depending on the local options, if you are in europe the big studio supply companies like Studiospares in england or Thomann in germany have loads of alternatives.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:

I think this is what I was after.....*yes3*

So if the AEX is setup on the network using the utility mentioned, you can then stream from iTunes on the PC and from any iThing in the normal way, correct?

[/quote]

That's correct, yes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts