Windows Surface phone anybody??

Just one of the rumours :p

microsoft_surface_phone_8_by_yronimus-d54trfa.jpg

If Microsoft indeed releases a phone of this design, it will sell like hot cakes!! :)

Paul Hobbs said:
In all seriousness, its a nice looking phone. Any idea how big it is supposed to be?

I think it's just a concept phone, photoshopped by someone. If Windows is indeed planning a phone, it'll be around 4.2 - 4.5 inches.

The actual phone (if it at all comes) will probably be a lot different, like how Lumia 920 is different from this one:

http://mynokiablog.com/2012/04/10/my-dream-nokia-49-nokia-lumia-pureview-920-windows-phone-8-concept/

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
AnotherJoe said:
but it runs a proprietary operating system and you can't customise it.

You can customise Windows 8.

Purely devils advocate, but, not really.

I have a few launchers on my OneX, including Launcher 7 (Windows 7 copy), Go Launcher, Nova...

There's premium, eye candy launchers like SPB shell.

Basically you can make an Android look exactly like whatever you want. There's even an iPhone-a-like launcher (god knows why anyone would want that mind :) ).

Windows 8 phones will look like Windows 8 phones. End of.

But I am in line for a Nokia 920 as it does appear it will be rather special.

Depends on how you define "customisable". For me, it simply means that I can make my home screen the way I want, & my phone shouldn't look like every other phone. All iPhones look the same. With Windows 8, I can decide one of the 3 sizes for my live tile & arrange it according to my preference. Even my Android does not change the size of the icons in the way I desire. I can also choose colours for the tiles.

What you're mentioning will not be used by 99.9% of phone users. If I've bought an Android phone, why would I want it to look like a Windows phone or iPhone? It's daft, at least for me.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
What you're mentioning will not be used by 99.9% of phone users. If I've bought an Android phone, why would I want it to look like a Windows phone or iPhone? It's daft, at least for me.

You are missing the point. With some of the launchers you can make it look very stock android, have resizable icons, higher density of icons, customizable icon images, change almost everything about the UI in any way you like (why I mentioned the 2 clones).

One (major to some people) problem with W8 is a lack of wallpaper and what if I don't want square 2d blocks?

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
fr0g said:
bigboss said:

You are missing the point. With some of the launchers you can make it look very stock android, have resizable icons, higher density of icons, customizable icon images, change almost everything about the UI in any way you like (why I mentioned the 2 clones).

One (major to some people) problem with W8 is a lack of wallpaper and what if I don't want square 2d blocks?

Its hardly the end of the world i won't be able to make a W8 phone look like an Android phone or maybe move things around as much, most people i know with Android haven't done a thing to there phone apart from change the background photo

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Have to say the whole customisable thing has always baffled me a little. Yes, sometimes I change the background picture on my iPhone, but if I couldn't, I don't think I'd really miss that ability - I don't think I have in over a year. I'm sure others feel differently, but I do wonder how many people in the world actually care about things like that - certainly the only people I know who say anything about how they prefer to customise their phone's look seem to be Android users, in which case they've clearly chosen the right phone for them.

But as has been noted, most Android users I know have the default layout - clock, weather etc.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
Have to say the whole customisable thing has always baffled me a little. Yes, sometimes I change the background picture on my iPhone, but if I couldn't, I don't think I'd really miss that ability - I don't think I have in over a year. I'm sure others feel differently, but I do wonder how many people in the world actually care about things like that - certainly the only people I know who say anything about how they prefer to customise their phone's look seem to be Android users, in which case they've clearly chosen the right phone for them.

But as has been noted, most Android users I know have the default layout - clock, weather etc.
Yes same here Prof,I have just changed background on iphone 5 and iPad 2 for the first time to be identical.Friends and family all seeem to have default regardless of phone/tablet

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
landzw said:
fr0g said:
bigboss said:

Its hardly the end of the world i won't be able to make a W8 phone look like an Android phone or maybe move things around as much, most people i know with Android haven't done a thing to there phone apart from change the background photo

Just like with iPhones then!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
professorhat said:

I agree. I had the same photo for about 4 years. Now it will be changed intermittently as my boy grows up. But otherwise I really don't care how big my icons are (ooh-er) or how many dimensions they exist in.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Ok i will agree down the line Windows phones will fall into the same trap of the iPhone / touch and iPad and that will be things will look the same for many years to come, a bit like the Sony media cross bar they have been now using for the last few years.

I guess its hard to make something better but yet keep the simplicity of an iOS that everyone can use which is far more important than making things to complicated is scares people away, we have to remember the amount of people that don't have no idea when it comes to tech. You want people to come back to you'r products

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts