Wilmslow Audio Speakers

Balderdash

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I posted a question a few weeks ago asking if anyone had experience of making their own speakers from a kit or more specifically from Wilmslow Audio (based in Leicestershire).

Having spent a fair amount of time considering my options i.e. off the shelf new, used and ex demo I decided to visit Wilmslow and see what they had to offer. Prior to this I had listened to a number of speakers including active models but hadn't found anything that I felt would completely satisfy me for a good number of years. At Wilmslow, I listened to a set of Gemini 2 stand mounts that would cost around £900. This was well over my £550 budget but convinced me that Wilmslow can indeed supply very capable and very well finished speakers. After further thought I opted for a set of compact floor standers using twin bass/midrange drive units and a treble. The cabinets calculations were made on my behalf using Joseph D'Appolito principles and made of real wood veneered MDF and the crossover designed and assembled by Wilmslow.

The result - beautifully finished speakers with exceptional clarity and imaging and all made to my own specifications. Wilmslow is well worth a visit.

A

Anonymous

Glad to hear you had some positive experiences with them. I toyed with the idea of making my own speakers a while ago, did a bit a reading on cabinet design, crossovers, different types of materials and got a bit lost. Its still a bit of a pipe dream and this sounds like a good place to start. I was almost at the stage of building my own but a lot of the parts were going to be sourced from the US and I wasn't confident I could achieve the finish I wanted and saw the overall project as quite a financial risk. No doubt a speaker of superior performance can be made for less than retail cost but you cant hear it before making an investment.

Would love to hear some 'DIY' speakers and take on a project at some point but I am a perfectionist and dont think I could be happy with my own work at this point in time. Would love to see some pictures if you could find the to post them!

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Balderdash:
I posted a question a few weeks ago asking if anyone had experience of making their own speakers from a kit or more specifically from Wilmslow Audio (based in Leicestershire).

Having spent a fair amount of time considering my options i.e. off the shelf new, used and ex demo I decided to visit Wilmslow and see what they had to offer. Prior to this I had listened to a number of speakers including active models but hadn't found anything that I felt would completely satisfy me for a good number of years. At Wilmslow, I listened to a set of Gemini 2 stand mounts that would cost around £900. This was well over my £550 budget but convinced me that Wilmslow can indeed supply very capable and very well finished speakers. After further thought I opted for a set of compact floor standers using twin bass/midrange drive units and a treble. The cabinets calculations were made on my behalf using Joseph D'Appolito principles and made of real wood veneered MDF and the crossover designed and assembled by Wilmslow.

The result - beautifully finished speakers with exceptional clarity and imaging and all made to my own specifications. Wilmslow is well worth a visit.

And there you go. Told you Terry and Neil would do the biz for you. Congrats!.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts