Will my sub from 2.1 system work on sony dh800 Amp

Davro83

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I only have a 2.1 sound system Sony f200 with sub. Im ready to upgrade to a 5.1 surround sound as i want HD sound. On a tight budget so have decided on Sony amp dh800. Wandered if i could use the sub box from my 2.1 system as am happy with the base, or do i need to buy a brand new sub. Also what speaker wire do i use to connect speakers to amp? Thanks for your help.

A

Anonymous

As far as I'm aware your going to need an active subwoofer connected to the Sony DH800. So depending whether your old sub is active or passive will influence whether you'll need to fork out for a new one. If your on a tight budget something like the BK Gemini would be a good option or have a browse on the worlds most famous online auction site.

There's no need to spent an enormous amount on speaker cable, about a £1 a meter at most. Any hi-fi store will have plenty of choices too choose from, just state the length you require. Banana plugs aren't essential so I'd just stick with bare wire each end.

matthewpiano

As Andrew says, it aint gonna happen. You wouldn't want it to either. The DAV-F200 sub is set to work with the system's satellite speakers. Using it (or any similar sub from a package system) with the sort of full-range speakers you'll be using with the DH800 will result in a seriously bad mis-match in terms of the crossover between sub and front channels.

In terms of choosing an alternative sub, what speakers are you using in the system?

Davro83

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Ok thanks for the help. In which case i will probably go for the budget speaker and sub from Jamo A102HCS5. If for any reason this isnt a good choice could you let me know. Thanks guys.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts