Will BlueRay / DVD Player do System Justice with CDs?

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello, hoping someone might be able to advise on this. I was set on getting a separate CD player, up to about £400, but am now wondering, and wanted a bit of advice before demoing any.

I've got a Marantz SR6001 and a (full) Tannoy Arena speaker package.

I'm thinking I could instead use whatever BlueRay / upscaling DVD player I get, and connect it digitally to the Marantz, which has 192/24 DACs. I'm thinking this should be reasonably impressive if the player is good and doesn't have a lot of jitter.

Then, I haven't actually spent extra on a CD player, and if and when I upgrade the system later, I can spend on a CD player at that point.

Does anybody think I'll be missing out on a lot of potential performance right now, against having a proper CD player going to the amp's analogue inputs, if I do this?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The simple answer is that you really need a dedicated CD player, but I'd suggest giving it a try with your Blu-ray/DVD player and seeing what you think.

If you like the sound, fair and good - if not, you have the budget available for a player later

matthewpiano

Or try adding a Beresford DAC (circa £100) instead of using the Marantz internal DAC. If you do buy a CD player I'd plump for something like a CA Azur 640C V2.0 or Marantz CD6002. Anything better would require a higher class of amplification.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Agree with the DAC suggestion above. The Beresford works really well with DVD transports, and is a transformation (I have tested on DVD and PS3 myself). I believe your DVD or BluRay will perform at least on a par with a dedicated budget (£200-£300) player through the DAC. I would suggest using your budget to get a proper stereo amplifier, AND the DAC, and connecting to the SR6001 preouts.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for taking time to advise on this.

The trouble is I don't intend on getting a BlueRay player for quite a while yet, as I haven't got a high-def TV yet. I'm stuck with a Mico budget DVD player at the moment, (since my Marantz DV4100OSE bust), and while the Marantz and Tannoy combo are making a decent fist of it, it's not exactly fantastic.

I got onto this whole track as I thought I may as well get the CD6002 for £200 rather than get the 4100OSE repaired. Then I started thinking about maybe getting a more expensive CD or even DVD upscaling player instead, for future proofing.

I think I've got to remember, though, that I was impressed with the music via the SR6001 and a Panasonic BMP-50. I might see if somebody will demo that for music, and then try some dedicated CD players, and see if i think the extra outlay is worthwhile.

If it isn't for me, then I suppose I'll just have to make do with the Mico for a short while!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
kinda:
Thanks for taking time to advise on this.

The trouble is I don't intend on getting a BlueRay player for quite a while yet, as I haven't got a high-def TV yet. I'm stuck with a Mico budget DVD player at the moment, (since my Marantz DV4100OSE bust), and while the Marantz and Tannoy combo are making a decent fist of it, it's not exactly fantastic.

I got onto this whole track as I thought I may as well get the CD6002 for £200 rather than get the 4100OSE repaired. Then I started thinking about maybe getting a more expensive CD or even DVD upscaling player instead, for future proofing.

I think I've got to remember, though, that I was impressed with the music via the SR6001 and a Panasonic BMP-50. I might see if somebody will demo that for music, and then try some dedicated CD players, and see if i think the extra outlay is worthwhile.

If it isn't for me, then I suppose I'll just have to make do with the Mico for a short while!

If you are waiting before getting a bd player, I would look on ebay for an Arcam dvd player like the DV88 which are selling for around £130, this will give you excellent cd playback, a decent dvd playback (you don't need an upscaler until you have a HD screen) and you haven't broken the bank.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts