Will a 4K blu-ray player look better on a 1080p TV?

mannisrai

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a 1080P TV but have just ordered a 4K Blu-ray player and some 4K discs. Will these 4K discs look better than 1080P discs on a 4K blu-ray player even though it's still a 1080P TV?

Playing a 4K disc on a 1080p TV will involve downscaling the picture (picture processing) as compared to blu ray which will be 1080p native. Theoretically, 1080p blu ray should perform better, but I haven't compared.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
mannisrai said:
I have a 1080P TV but have just ordered a 4K Blu-ray player and some 4K discs. Will these 4K discs look better than 1080P discs on a 4K blu-ray player even though it's still a 1080P TV?
You wouldn't be able to play 4k to your TV set. You can play 1080p on your 4k blu ray player but 4k disc will be a waste of money on your 1080p TV set.

You must have a 4k TV set to watch a 4k signal.

Native_bon said:
mannisrai said:
You wouldn't be able to play 4k to your TV set. You can play 1080p on your 4k blu ray player but 4k disc will be a waste of money on your 1080p TV set.

I thought the same, but it's not true.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/4k-uhd-bluray-player-through-1080p-projector-better-picture-than-standard-bluray.2095238/

bigboss said:
Native_bon said:
mannisrai said:

I thought the same, but it's not true.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/4k-uhd-bluray-player-through-1080p-proj...

abacus

Upscaling is a guess at what would be in the image if it was 4K, however all the details are already known if you play a 4K disc on a HD TV, so you may get a slightly better picture depending on how good your TV is. (Choosing to decide what is taken away (Downscaling) is a lot easier than having to guess what should be there (Upscaling).

The main advantage of using 4K disks for HD is if you have an Atmos/DTS-X system, as manufactures tend to only supply theses soundtracks on 4K discs.

The final benefit is that when you do upgrade to a 4K TV you will not have to buy all the discs again to get the better picture.

Bill

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Bigboss you may be correct there. Never really thought it through. Cause just before I got my 4k TV set I use to watch 4k reviews on mkbhd YouTube channel on my 1080p TV set, and it looked better than even 1080p blu rays, cause of the higher bitrate.

Having said that, watching it on a 4k blu ray player is a different cattle of fish. May encounter different type of problems, and will greatly depend on the down scaling capabilities of blue ray player in question, and the 1080p TV set receiving the signal in the first place.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
abacus said:
The main advantage of using 4K disks for HD is if you have an Atmos/DTS-X system, as manufactures tend to only supply theses soundtracks on 4K discs.
Not all 4K BDs have Atmos soundtracks and not all 1080p BDs don't.

In fact none of the four (not a statistically representative survey admittedly) 4K BDs I have bought so far have Atmos at all.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
I still buy 1080p blu ray discs with Dolby Atmos. My preference in 3D over 4K.
4K when done right is great but so often let down at the moment.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Back on subject, did you ever try plugging a VHS tape player into an old black and white TV, and when you did, did the black and white TV play colour movies in colour or black and white?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Back on subject, did you ever try plugging a VHS tape player into an old black and white TV, and when you did, did the black and white TV play colour movies in colour or black and white?
I would say the old black and white TV would play black and white but it’s so long ago now unless the VHS player had a colour in coder built inside . I also remember VHS and beta max as well

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts