Wife has just got a work phone 3gs - I have one - Advice sought

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I know this has all been covered millions of times before but please enlighten me as I do not have a clue and need all your wisdom.

I have a 32gb 3gs - which I am pretty confident with - I have filled it with Apple Lossless music and have to manually sync it because I cant get all my cd collection on it.

My wife has just got a work 16gb one. No offence to her but i do not want to share my libary with hers (Abba,Elton John,Lady Garbage - need i go on). She also has no Apple id which I guess she just needs to set up ? And syncing it would, i guess be a nightmare.

She has a very limited work pc and we have an all singing big memory Sony Vaio laptop.

Can i run 2 itune accounts from 1 x laptop or would it be better to run her account from her work laptop ? Also, if her work laptop gets upgraded, will she lose her libary ? ideally, I want to be able to sort it all out from our personal laptop - the Sony.

What is the easiest way to sort this out ?

Also, while i am at it - I have an external hard drive - how do I back up my libary on to it - its a 500gb one so storage should not be a problem.

Can you please make all answers in simpleton terms please because I do suffer from pc / itunes technophobia.

Oh and one last thing - If i rip a mix cd - how do i do it without itunes putting gaps on all the tracks ?

Advise would be most welcome.

Cheers.

colinm66

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 itunes libraries on my desktop, 1 for mp3 and 1 for lossless - hold down the shift key when starting itunes, it will then ask you to select which library you want. Note - take care to select the rip quality (mp3/lossless) you want as this appears to use whatever value was last used regardless of library in use. (not sure about the account question, I only have 1)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Use the shift key to create a new library for her on the Sony laptop as described above (full details here). That's that one done - doesn't need to be any more complicated than that as it's much better than storing on her work laptop.

To backup, go into the iTunes preferences, click on Advanced and this will show you where the library currently is (see here for details on standard locations for different operating systems and how to check this). Once you know this, just use your standard backup facility to backup that location. If you don't have backup software, just do a copy and paste of the folder. Simple as that.

Of course the best bet would be to get decent backup software and backup the entire PC - I personally like Acronis, but I'm sure there are other favourites out there.

Messiah

psurquhart said:
Oh and one last thing - If i rip a mix cd - how do i do it without itunes putting gaps on all the tracks?

I'm not sure if you can set this when you rip it (I suspect you can though by highlighting the tracks and following this method before you click 'burn'.) but once the tracks are ripped you can highlight them then:

Right click - Get Info

Option Tab - at the bottom it asks if this is a gapless album and you just need to select 'yes'.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all - all sorted now. Was fairly straight forward even for a technophobic like me.

Hey John, i dont dislike Abba but you have to admit, theirs so much more quality out there :)

jjbomber

Oh and one last thing - If i rip a mix cd - how do i do it without itunes putting gaps on all the tracks ?

Advise would be most welcome.

Cheers.

Righy click the album and go to Get Info.

Far right tab is options

Click on Gapless album (normally used for live albums)

Viola.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts