Why we need Audiophiles.....

A

Anonymous

How come? I must admit I don't know much about the guy - has he got a bit of a reputation then?

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't even begin to write anything here - for a start I'd probably be breaking some forum rules if I did. Have a browse of the web, I'm sure you'll come across plenty of info on the notorious Mr. Fremer.

A

Anonymous

looks like some viny collection and system dont look to bad either

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
There are two things I really like about the article:

1) A non-audiophile was suitably impressed with the sound of a $350K stereo system.... So maybe audiophiles aren't totally crazy...

2) Michael Fremer admits that it would only take $3,000 to $5,000 to build a system that will be deeply satisfying to most music fans.

So essentially a satisfying setup can be had for a Hundredth of the cost of Michael's reference system....

A

Anonymous

A Very good find.
I like Neil Youngs statement:

Digital music is sensory depravation!

:)

John Duncan

Ajani:

1) A non-audiophile was suitably impressed with the sound of a $350K stereo system.... So maybe audiophiles aren't totally crazy...

2) Michael Fremer admits that it would only take $3,000 to $5,000 to build a system that will be deeply satisfying to most music fans.

So essentially a satisfying setup can be had for a hundredth of the cost of Michael's reference system....

A thousandth, I say...

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Ajani:

So essentially a satisfying setup can be had for a hundredth of the cost of Michael's reference system....

A thousandth, I say...

ooooh... me math is off... at least mi inglish is still well...

A

Anonymous

ashworth_rich:A Very good find. I like Neil Youngs statement: Digital music is sensory depravation! :)
"I heard a perfect echo die Into an anonymous wall of digital sound"
Natural Beauty - Neil Young

John Duncan

Ajani:JohnDuncan:Ajani:

A thousandth, I say...

No, I was just saying a $500 system can do the same...

manicm

JohnDuncan:Ajani:JohnDuncan:Ajani:

A thousandth, I say...

No, I was just saying a $500 system can do the same...

Surely not new?

A

Anonymous

I question myself and the need for audiophiles after staying up past midnight making abstract philosophical points to the maker of NVA products about whether the phenomena of 'burn in' exists in a meaningful way (another forum).

Having said that earlier this evening I ordered some Bright Star Isonods from their UK distributor and ended up talking for 30 minutes to Simon about the virtues of FLAC rips and new products he's making and finding it completely fascinating.

idc

Catcher:

I question myself and the need for audiophiles after staying up past midnight making abstract philosophical points to the maker of NVA products about whether the phenomena of 'burn in' exists in a meaningful way (another forum).

Having said that earlier this evening I ordered some Bright Star Isonods from their UK distributor and ended up talking for 30 minutes to Simon about the virtues of FLAC rips and new products he's making and finding it completely fascinating.

That sounds like a very productive and enjoyable way to spend your time and money Catcher.

Audiophile has become a term to mean those who listen to their system rather than the music as if that is somehow wrong and unjustifiable. I cannot think of any harm in such an activity. I also think that it is not actually true and that audiophiles listen to both the music and the system. Audiophile has also become to mean someone who believes the impossible, such as there is a difference between MP3 and lossless and between cables and mains needs conditioning. This creates derision amoungst those who think that this is nonscence and that is scientifically provable. My view on that is; if something is reported as being the case and science states it cannot be the case, then more study is required to explain the difference and it is up to both sides to find a new explanation.

We need audiophiles like we need stamp collectors; both are not necessary to the advancement of life, but neither do any harm either. Both activities involve learning, discovery and bring enjoyment, so they are good for the soul and are part of giving a quality to life. I like to consider myself as an audiophile, it is a good place to be.

A

Anonymous

Neon K:
ashworth_rich:A Very good find. I like Neil Youngs statement: Digital music is sensory depravation! :)

idc

ashworth_rich:Neon K:

'I rode my lama, from Peru to Texicana' Ride My Lama - Neil Young

A

Anonymous

idc:Catcher:

That sounds like a very productive and enjoyable way to spend your time and money Catcher.

Audiophile has become a term to mean those who listen to their system rather than the music as if that is somehow wrong and unjustifiable. I cannot think of any harm in such an activity. I also think that it is not actually true and that audiophiles listen to both the music and the system. Audiophile has also become to mean someone who believes the impossible, such as there is a difference between MP3 and lossless and between cables and mains needs conditioning. This creates derision amoungst those who think that this is nonscence and that is scientifically provable. My view on that is; if something is reported as being the case and science states it cannot be the case, then more study is required to explain the difference and it is up to both sides to find a new explanation.

We need audiophiles like we need stamp collectors; both are not necessary to the advancement of life, but neither do any harm either. Both activities involve learning, discovery and bring enjoyment, so they are good for the soul and are part of giving a quality to life. I like to consider myself as an audiophile, it is a good place to be.

A great summary :)

T

the record spot

idc:

Audiophile has also become to mean someone who believes the impossible, such as there is a difference between MP3 and lossless and between cables and mains needs conditioning. This creates derision amoungst those who think that this is nonscence and that is scientifically provable. My view on that is; if something is reported as being the case and science states it cannot be the case, then more study is required to explain the difference and it is up to both sides to find a new explanation.

Oh yes!

Wouldn't mind having a chat with the guy from NVA myself; like the look of some of their products too.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:idc:

Audiophile has also become to mean someone who believes the impossible, such as there is a difference between MP3 and lossless and between cables and mains needs conditioning. This creates derision amoungst those who think that this is nonscence and that is scientifically provable. My view on that is; if something is reported as being the case and science states it cannot be the case, then more study is required to explain the difference and it is up to both sides to find a new explanation.

Oh yes!

Wouldn't mind having a chat with the guy from NVA myself; like the look of some of their products too.

You should chat to Richard. He has some very "strong" opinions and a unique way of talking to people who dont agree.

TRENDING THREADS