Why so bright?

DavidWZ

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I recently started ripping my CD's to FLAC, however the sound is ear-splittingly bright at the high-frequency end - to the point that some tracks are unpleasant to listen to. Its like this when using both "systems" (listed below). I used Media Monkey to rip the tracks. Is this my problem? Is some ripping software better than others.

Generally I can notice a real difference in clarity and definition of the FLAC over lower bit rate, and the HRT MS II DAC is stunning compared PC motherboard audio, but the high-pitched "screech" ruins it all.

Any tips?

Main system:

Self build media PC (with on-board sound chip disabled at hardware) through a HRT Music Streamer II DAC to a Cambridge A5 amp and a pair of Wharfdale Diamond 9.1

Second system:

Sony Walkman F886 into a Bose care stereo (Headphone socket to aux in)

DavidWZ

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
No EQ - the amp is set Direct/pass through, and the EQ and effects are turned off on the walkman. (I have tried using the EQ on the walkman to reduce the brightness, but I have to go so far I end up with dull, flat music.

(PS I tried to post this as a reply to your post, but I was blocked as spam!)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Try some fault finding.....

Remove the HRT from the chain and try again. In addition, other things to try are...

Playing the actual CD via the Pc with and without HRT and maybe trial a different ripper, although there should be no variance between software applications.

DavidWZ

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
The media PC has a pioneer slimline cd player built in. (The FLAC files are stored on a NAS, so for ripping I have been using my main PC which has a panasonic DVD combo)

I have removed the HRT from the main audio. That removes the over-brightness but there is a noticable loss of overall quality when using the motherboard sound chip.

The reason i was thinking it was the FLAC rips was I am having a similar experience with both sound systems. Maybe the superior DAC's in the walkman and the HRT are just too good for everything else - I can hear my wallet sighing with this notion.

rainsoothe

When you play the CD instead of the FLAC through the HRT is it still bright? Or you can only play the FLAC through the HRT and the CD can't be played through the HRT? If that's the case, then probably the HRT is showing some system mismatching flaw (as far as I understand, Wharfedales are prety analytical speakers and partnering with CA - which are pretty bright electronics - might be the culprit here). So if this is the case, the only things that could help would be 1. using some warmish copper speaker cables; 2. some room treatment (carpet, curtains, bookshelves with books etc) 3. changing either the amp or speakers (Marantz and Nad are warm amps, and i think Q Acoustics might be warmer then other speakers, maybe Dynaudios as well - not familiar with these, others might be able to help you on this one).

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Isn't HRT "Hormone Replacement Therapy"? It is at my age.
regular_smile.gif

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts