Why dose the onkyo 605 cut out ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have an onkyo 605 with kef 1005 kit (should have got the 2005) and if I turn the amp up past a certain volume the amp triggers the safty overide system and goes into standby mode with the standby light flashing. I have contacted kef and they have told me what setting to put the amp on but I still find that the level of volume is not that loud when it cuts out the number on the amp is level 60 ish, could it be the controls on the back of the sub or is it nothing to do with the speakers at all. Anyone had this happen to them or is the amp faulty?

Please could someone let me know.

A

Anonymous

the 1 to 99 volume number is not -db. The amp cuts out as the volume gets higher than 60 - instantly

thanks for your input !

nads

[quote user="rapsey"]
the 1 to 99 volume number is not -db. The amp cuts out as the volume gets higher than 60 - instantly

thanks for your input !
[/quote]

just been reading your manual and just got to that bit, So it is running ok up to about 2/3rds power and then just stops, that is odd. Will run for hours at 59? but if you turn it on from cold and turn it straight up to 60 it cuts out? If this is correct then something is wrong with your amp. Or is there a max volume cut out setting? (still reading). Read page 81.

A

Anonymous

I've seen in a part of the manual that the cut out is a protection circuit that engages for what ever reason, if I am watching a movie and a loud noise happens like a car crash in the film the amp will cut out if I have the amp on low volume no it wont but I dont beleve that the level I am listening at is very high. I have it linked up via hdmi to a ps3 and if I play music I can take the volume up as loud as I like so Im not fully convinced Its a fault with the amp but if it is its under warrenty. My room is about 4m x 4.3m should I be able to push this amp past the 65 point in the volume control or am I pushing it too hard.

gavsky

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I've had the 605 for a week or so and have had an identical experience. Certain scenes with rapid spikes in volume - again, around the 60 mark on the dial, so it's still not particularly loud to my ears - trigger the 605 to cut-out and switch into stand-by mode. It happened last night in a scene from Gattaca on Blu-ray (mad I know, it's mostly dialogue but the opening credit scene has a huge crashing sound) plus during parts of Black Hawk Down.

I'm coming to the conclusion it's to do with the speaker set-up. E.g. I have 2 Wharfedale 8.1s as my front speakers, and 2 B&W 601s as my rear surrounds (and a B&W centre, plus Rel Quake sub).

Specifically I'm thinking that it is down to how the left + right front channels are connected, as the 8.1s are bi-wirable: is it possible that if the cable connections are 'the wrong way round' on the speaker connections, then this causes the 605 to experience some kind of noise/feedback and so quits to prevent any sort of damage?

On the flip-side: my surround B&W 601s are also bi-wirable, so I as well as them acting as rear surrounds they are ALSO connected to a /separate/ Arcam stereo amp, which uses them as CD/radio playing. But the Arcam is always switched of when I'm watching DVD/Blu-ray (and hence utilising all speakers in the room) so I can't see how it would have any impact on the 605. Or would it..?

Any clues what the solution might be anyone?!!!!

gavsky

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gavsky"]

Specifically I'm thinking that it is down to how the left + right front channels are connected, as the 8.1s are bi-wirable: is it possible that if the cable connections are 'the wrong way round' on the speaker connections, then this causes the 605 to experience some kind of noise/feedback and so quits to prevent any sort of damage?

On the flip-side: my surround B&W 601s are also bi-wirable, so I as well as them acting as rear surrounds they are ALSO connected to a /separate/ Arcam stereo amp, which uses them as CD/radio playing. But the Arcam is always switched of when I'm watching DVD/Blu-ray (and hence utilising all speakers in the room) so I can't see how it would have any impact on the 605. Or would it..?

Any clues what the solution might be anyone?!!!!

[/quote]

Yes, it could be that the fronts are wired up wrongly, and thus causing the problem, but I'd be more inclined to think the rears are the problem, with the Onkyo trying to drive both the speakers and the output stages of your Arcam amplifier.

The configuration you have on the rears will be doing no good to either the receiver or your amplifier, and is really not what biwirable terminals are meant for. I suggest you rethink this aspect of your system, even if it means simply disconnecting one set of cables from the rear speakers depending on whether you're listening to music or movies.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]I suggest you rethink this aspect of your system, even if it means simply disconnecting one set of cables from the rear speakers depending on whether you're listening to music or movies.[/quote]Andrew, could you elaborate on what other options are available here. I have another post (how do you include a link?) asking how to connect a 605 to a stereo amp. As the 605 doesn't have a pre-out, and that is the only way I have read of doing it, what other options are available?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Short of using a speaker switch-box or physically swapping cables, there is no way of doing this with the 605.

[/quote]
I was talking to a dealer today and he said you could connect using the tape loop input. Is this not possible?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's possible, but a) the stereo amp won't be getting front channel left and right, just stereo, and b) the volume going to the stereo amp won't change with the volume setting on the AV receiver, which will be a pain when watching anything in surround, as you'll have to keep altering two volume controls, and your channel balance will end up all over the place.

A

Anonymous

Wow, thats not good. Which route would you take, a switcher box or another surround box? I assume a remote controller switcher box would cost around £200? which is about the difference in cost between the 605 and 705. As I have a harmony remote having a manual box would be a real pain as the harmony would switch most stuff on!

A

Anonymous

Do you think the 705 is better than other alternatives with pre-outs? How would you rate the sound of the 605 for music?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="LeoL"]Do you think the 705 is better than other alternatives with pre-outs?[/quote]

If you want the other facilities it offers, such as HD audio capability, yes. If you don't, then I'd save the money and buy a Sony STR-DA1200ES.

[quote user="LeoL"]How would you rate the sound of the 605 for
music?[/quote]

As good as any other AV receiver at its price level, but not of course on a par with a similarly-priced stereo amplifier.

A

Anonymous

Well given that I don't know what HD audio is I guess I don't need it, but I will probably buy a blu-ray player at some point now the format wars are over, so will it be beneficial then? I'm currently thinking of buying the Naim Nait 5i/CD combination or the new Leema Pulse/Stream, both of which I was impressed with at Bristol, but I haven't had a chance to compare them with something like the 875. I assumed either would be better with a separate AV box. Is this correct or would I be better just going for the 875? My intention was just to get a surround box that would work well with either of the amps I mentioned, but I really don't understand the surround side at all and so didn't appreciate the need for pre-outs. Will any surround amp with pre-outs work with any stereo amp, with full volume control etc, or do I need some special facility on the stereo amp too?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts