Why do I get clicks on tracks when importing?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I don't know if it's my laptop but I've noticed on some CDs I've been importing into itunes I get a lot of clicks/scratches in the imported tracks. Often I seem to get these at the end of a track - i.e., those few sconds after the music finishes but the track hasn't yet stopped playing, but I've also got it with some CDs all the way through - making them unimportable effectively as it's no fun listening to the result.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with all CDs (and the CDs themselves are fine); it doesn't (as far as I can tell) be something to do with certain publishers putting some kind of anti-importing device on the CD; I've tried different encoding levels etc.

I'm at a loss! Any ideas what this is that's doing it?

A

Anonymous

Yes, tried WMA and something else (which now escapes me) with the same result. I haven't yet tried buying an external CD ROM but that seems a bit drastic, especially as it doesn't seem to be all CDs (at which point I'd have to guess it might be the CD ROM in the laptop).

A

Anonymous

I was gonna suggest turning on error correction in iTunes but if it's happening with other software, seems unlikely that will be the solution. Have you tried dbpoweramp with Accuraterip? I think it sounds like you have drive issues though...

A

Anonymous

'Confused - you will be!' (have been racking my brains trying to remember which American TV comedy series this came from??!)

Anyway, I have just tried to load two new CDs onto my laptop. Both modern, well produced CDs which sound fine when played on a CD player (so it's not a problem inherent to the CD). Have used the same import settings for both (importing at 320kbps).

One has the annoying clicks throughout the imported tracks and the other is fine. When playing the CDs straight from the CD drive the one with the annoying clicks still has some of the same problem, though less so - so the importing process seems to magnify this somehow. The CD that's fine suffers the same problem right at the end of the tracks - those last 2-3 secs after the music has stopped and the track is on the outro - like someone has knocked the needle on a vinyl record.

Can only assume this is now something wrong with my laptop - but why it would affect one CD more than another is a mystery to me? What would it be that's wrong with the laptop though - i.e. where do I start - CD Drive, sound card, something else??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts