Why are there no normal CDs at 24/192 quality? All weird artists no one has heard of

gurjitsidhu

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
As per title. I want to get some HD tracks but all the albums are ones ive never heard of. Where are the normal albums like chats and indie stuff?

anyone use any site in particular or am I stuck with 320kbps mastered for iTunes stuff?

gurjitsidhu

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
not sure if your reply is a sarcastic one Joe but even on those links (which i checked before) there are no albums ive really heard of let alone any best sellers.

I would like to buy albums I would otherwise have considered buying- not just buy stuff for the sake of it being 192/24 then never listen to it because its not my taste in music. ive done that with a few albums on the bowers and wilkins society of sounds but i find i never isten to these albums since i would rather listen to something else im familiar with.

see these other artists, when they visit a studio, do they not record in studio quality? would seem like the obvious thing to do or am I missing something?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You're just missing the point that the demand for this stuff is miniscule, so most studios won't see the point in it. Of course that's a circular argument, if it was available more there might be more demand.

It's often worth checking individual artists websites,, some Oake 24bit versions of their stuff available directly, muse and nine inch nails spring to mind recently, not sure many are 192kHz though, mostly 96.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Or maybe you could open your mind a fraction, and actually listen to some music that you haven't heard a million times on radio local, instead calling everything that isn't **** chart music, weird.

WX

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
For many *big* record-companys there's really no reason to have the regular Pop-music albums released for the newly Hi-Res FLAC download.

There's not enough demand for it. (yet) :shifty:

Altough some re-releases are available in 24bit these days. :clap:

And even some recent artists, but usually a bit more say sophistcated ones. ;) :quest:

Have a look at Boomkat or here at www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-audiophile-downloads/

manicm

If Sony are beginning to offer high-res audio, albeit in limited quantity, other labels will have to follow suit. It's key to their survival. Because as much as they'd want CD to die, thing is in pure revenue terms MP3 downloads are not really raking in the moolah for them - not as much they'd expected or like. And if anyone's bothered to check, Universal are also thinking hard of releasing high-res.

They would just have to. I repeat it's a question of survival. And to those who say it won't take off with today's youth, well marketing is everything. Or to paraphrase Yoko Ono; 'Contracts are nothing, lawyers are everything.'

I'd just be happy to download tracks in CD-quality WAV or FLAC.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
There's plenty if you look around - just not the greatest selection in UK at the moment (but that's changing soon).

Hi-res music I own and enjoy includes:

Bob Marley - Legend

The Rolling Stones - Grrrr

Prince - Purple Rain

David Bowie -The Next Day

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Peter Gabriel - So; Scratch my Back

As well as lots of amazing jazz - Ella Fitzgerald, Claire Martin, Melody Gardot etc - that isn't exactly mainstream, but neither is it obscure....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Or maybe you could open your mind a fraction, and actually listen to some music that you haven't heard a million times on radio local, instead calling everything that isn't **** chart music, weird.

Nobody called it "weird". And some people LIKE chart music or at least contemporary pop/rock. That's their choice.

I don't like it but I still struggle to find anything I particularly like in hi-res, which is why I've never worried about getting a streamer that can play it. I did get the last Muse album in 24 bit, my phone can play it, however it takes up a drokk-load of space so I converted it to 320kbps mp3. Sounds exactly the same.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Nobody called it "weird". And some people LIKE chart music or at least contemporary pop/rock. That's their choice.
Yes they did. Weird is in the title of the thread:

"Why are there no normal CDs at 24/192 quality? All weird artists no one has heard of"

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hammill said:
The_Lhc said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Yes they did. Weird is in the title of the thread:

"Why are there no normal CDs at 24/192 quality? All weird artists no one has heard of"

Yeah I know, spotted that about two hours later but Chebby had already replied so I couldn't edit it out. Doesn't affect the rest of the point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts