Which to upgrade first. Speakers or AVR

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Denon AVR 2310 and Q Acoustics cinema 2000 (supplied with 2020 front and surround instead of 2010's)

I would like to start moving towards a system that has floorstanding front speakers that handle lower frequencies and have been looking at and listening to B&W 684's and Monitor Audio Rx6's.

I would aim to upgrade/match the center speaker at the same time as the fronts, but I would be hoping to use the 2010's as surround/rears and perhaps even the Q Acoustic sub until a later upgrade.

Would such an upgrade path work? Will the Denon 2310 be out of its depth with larger speakers? (I would ideally upgrade this at a later date also)

All thoughts and opinion welcome.

somethingbrite said:
I have a Denon AVR 2310 and Q Acoustics cinema 2000 (supplied with 2020 front and surround instead of 2010's)

I would like to start moving towards a system that has floorstanding front speakers that handle lower frequencies and have been looking at and listening to B&W 684's and Monitor Audio Rx6's.

I would aim to upgrade/match the center speaker at the same time as the fronts, but I would be hoping to use the 2010's as surround/rears and perhaps even the Q Acoustic sub until a later upgrade.

Would such an upgrade path work? Will the Denon 2310 be out of its depth with larger speakers? (I would ideally upgrade this at a later date also)

All thoughts and opinion welcome.

Hi somethingbrite

I would upgrade the speakers first as these will in all probability give you a bigger return on your investment. Monitor Audio's Silver RX6's and the matching Silver RX Centre with their greater performance potential and their more even presentation will be an ideal match for the AVR2310. The Q Acoustics speakers can be used as rears/sub for the time being.

A speaker package such as the class leading Silver RX AV12 can ultimately benefit from being used with superior amplification however the AVR2310 is still more then capable of being used with either speaker package. When you are ready to upgrade then quality amplifiers such as Yamaha's RX-V3067 or Denon AVR4311 are ones to consider.

Btw, what have you thought of the 684's and Silver RX6'so far?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

I agree with the above, the MA Silver RX is great, but I's advise to demo them first. The first demo I really liked the RX6's but at the second more extensive demo I still found them somewhat lacking, and after comparing with the RX8 I was sold on the RX8's, they come across as more natural and more full-bodied to me. Since this is very subjective you might prefer the RX6, but since you seem to prefer good performance on lower frquencies I suspect the RX8 will sound much better for you.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys

Thanks for the input so far.

I listened to both, but in different stores (different environment, amplification etc.) and preferred the RX6's because they seemed to have more definintion and the overall sound seemed smoother (more coherent?). The B&W 684's appeared to sound a little muddy to be honest, not because of bass weight, rather because of "lack of definition"

Ideally it would be nice to listen to both with my own amp in the same room, however that is not really a possibility where I live.

I will give them both another listen and see if I can find some way of getting my own AVR into the equation, just so there is a slightly more level playing field for both speakers. (I can't do much about the listening rooms.)

A

Anonymous

Hi FrankHarveyHiFi

Both music and film really in fact. I aim to use a sub yes. However while my present sub was away for repair and I was experimenting I noticed distinct directional lower frequency effects in more than one film that my 2020's struggled with.

(The Denon 2310 set my speakers to "large" and lowered the crossover by default when I configured without a sub)

The added dimension of directional "growl" was pretty neat and I would like to get back there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts