Which to buy / upgrade

murphczx

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I am relatively new to Hi-Fi and have decided to spend some money on an upgrade. My config is an Arcam FMJ A18 integrated amp and a Denon DBT 3313 UD and Monitor Audio RX2 speakers. I have approx £300 to spend. ....on what ?

I was thinking of may be a Power Amp...Arcam P85 or P90 or may be a DAC - not sure which . Any views on what either will give me. I am thinking of upgrading my speakers in a couple of monhs to MA Gold. Sticking with MA due to pleaeing sound, cosmetics and value.

Any views?

Thanks

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Your system looks quite well balanced to me, there are countless ways to spend your £300 pounds but I susepct you'd only feel it in your wallet, resist the urge as it will be a sidewways step where ever you spend it in my opinion.

DACs make don't make cost effective upgrades and I'd be srpsied if you could better your anmp or speakers for the money, a power amp won't make a whole lot of differnece either as tweeters take such little load you'd not be taking that much strain off the intergrated Arcam.

I think looking at speakers suhc as the Kef LS50 would be were you'd start to really feel the jump in quality.

bluedroog said:
Your system looks quite well balanced to me, there are countless ways to spend your £300 pounds but I susepct you'd only feel it in your wallet, resist the urge as it will be a sidewways step where ever you spend it in my opinion.

DACs make don't make cost effective upgrades and I'd be srpsied if you could better your anmp or speakers for the money, a power amp won't make a whole lot of differnece either as tweeters take such little load you'd not be taking that much strain off the intergrated Arcam.

I think looking at speakers suhc as the Kef LS50 would be were you'd start to really feel the jump in quality.

Kef LS50's for £300... I wish. Your point about his current system is very relevent however. I suggest that massive improvements are not going to be got for £300 and perhaps the OP should just buy more music :)

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Ditch the A18 completely. Sell on eBay and combine the money with the £300 to buy a better amp. I used to own the A18, it is very poor and dull sounding.

You will end up with £450 - £500, so for that price you could get something like the Rega Brio-R. There are a few going 2nd hand on eBay, otherwise new is £550ish.

murphczx

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks all for your replies. The £300 is for 2nd hand so hoping it will for a distance. I am delighted find out from an independant point of view that my choice of bits balanced. The A18 at the moment is a marked improvement from my previous config of A75 CD and 85 amp......may be the music I listen to is poor and dull sounding so the amp suits it!!! But thanks I do appreciate the advice and comments .

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
bluedroog said:

Kef LS50's for £300... I wish. Your point about his current system is very relevent however. I suggest that massive improvements are not going to be got for £300 and perhaps the OP should just buy more music :)

My point is he shouldn't spend £300 and expect an upgrade, he should wait till he can afford a proper upgrade such as the LS50s, that's about the price point I think it would be a worth while upgrade, about £700 I believe they are.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think a power amp or dac is where I would spend the money. Better speakers sure, better amp. also I would consider. Speakers make the most difference to the sound, find some you really like and then find a suitable amp to drive them. Have some auditions at a decent hifi dealer, in fact I would have several.

If I was buying a system now I would get the AVI 9RS used for around £600-£700.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts