Which system component really tickles your fancy?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just a light hearted thread started out of curiosity... Do you have a particular system component you love to read about, like the designs of and/or tinker with? Personally, I'm a speaker man. I love reading about new speakers coming to market with new design ideas and i also enjoy modding my speakers and continually tweaking them to get the best i can out of them. how about you?

T

the record spot

Used to be turntables, but of late amps have ruled the roost. Now I have my amplifier back, serviced and doing its thing in some style, everything else if of passing interest. More into active speakers right now, though any move there is some way off.

SteveR750

+1 for tuntables too, but no longer own one after my entire record collection was ruined in a house flood. Now it's no particular component, or should that be it's all of them, worryingly....
emotion-43.gif

A

Anonymous

recently its my laptop as I am loving using spotify and discovering different and forgoten music.I just plug it into my Avi amd 9.1's via my behringer.

SteveR750

idc:Headphones. I am starting a collection of classic ones.

Do the Koss HV/X phones fall into your classification of "classic"? They are first Hi Fi phones I had for Christmas as a 14yr old and they were awesome at the time.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
Pretty much interested in all components, but suppose I've always had a bit of a fetish for amplifiers and speakers. I actually built my first pair of speakers back in '81, based on a Dynaudio DIY project but with no-name units instead (no cash - I was 14!), was really proud of the quality of boxes, too. We used lots of bitumen back then, lol...

Rather sad I know, but over the years I have amassed 6 amps and 6 pairs of speakers making part of as many systems, with a seriously unhealthy number of sources, cables etc. Nothing fancy though, just lots of best buys and award winners and some vintage gear too.
Then having fun swapping each component over and modding them then finding out how each different system sounds and why...

Just don't ask where I keep it all and what my missus thinks of my 'hobby'!

SteveR750

Mr. Iceman:
Pretty much interested in all components, but suppose I've always had a bit of a fetish for amplifiers and speakers. I actually built my first pair of speakers back in '81, based on a Dynaudio DIY project but with no-name units instead (no cash - I was 14!), was really proud of the quality of boxes, too. We used lots of bitumen back then, lol...

Rather sad I know, but over the years I have amassed 6 amps and 6 pairs of speakers making part of as many systems, with a seriously unhealthy number of sources, cables etc. Nothing fancy though, just lots of best buys and award winners and some vintage gear too.
Then having fun swapping each component over and modding them then finding out how each different system sounds and why...

I remember lusting after a Wharfedale Linton 'kit' when I was a similar age. My modding got as far as doping the bass drivers of a later pair of (cheap and not very nice) Lintons before the Diamonds revived their fortunes. I used a lot of plasticine on the inside of the box along the seams to dampen the cabinet. Not sure if they were mch better after that, though my mate bought them off me and hooked up to his then top line Marantz CD and DAC and a QED A240 (? is that right) amp. Sounded quite nice for the era and systems that I had heard.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750:Mr. Iceman:

I remember lusting after a Wharfedale Linton 'kit' when I was a similar age. My modding got as far as doping the bass drivers of a later pair of (cheap and not very nice) Lintons before the Diamonds revived their fortunes. I used a lot of plasticine on the inside of the box along the seams to dampen the cabinet. Not sure if they were mch better after that, though my mate bought them off me and hooked up to his then top line Marantz CD and DAC and a QED A240 (? is that right) amp. Sounded quite nice for the era and systems that I had heard.

Ah, the Linton system and speakers! Dampening with whatever suitable material was the order of the day, and we could never dampen the boxes well enough. And of course home-made 1st order x-overs of single coil/cap design!
Your mate certainly didn't seem to be cash strapped - QED A 240 was a pretty serious piece of kit - and Marantz CD player with a separate DAC back then?
Diamond IIIs were the first new speakers I bought, they're still in mint condition and putting up a strong fight but my 9.1s 'Anniversary' show how much the Diamond design has developed since mid-eighties.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts