Which speakers to go with my amp and cd player?!?!?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So I've just got myself a nice little bargain off ebay - Cambridge Audio A1 mrk3 amplifer (£15), cambridge audio CD4 cd player (£13), and some tannoy M20 speakers (£17). I'm just not sure the speakers are going to be up to much, any info on how this setup will be would be greatly appreciated. But if those speakers aren't going to be much cop, can you recommend some speakers to go with the amp and cd player. Don't want to spend too much and i don't have a lot of room (just my bedroom - only about 10 foot by 10 foot).

Thanks!!! :)

matthewpiano

The Tannoys are actually very capable speakers - open and quite revealing sounding. I reckon they should sound pretty decent with the electronics you have chosen. If they don't quite gel, a pair of Eltax Monitor IIIs would certainly do the trick although the Tannoys are certainly the better speakers overall.

A

Anonymous

You got a nice bargain there, just add some good speaker cable and interconnect, then sit back and enjoy the tunes. Oh yeah make sure you get some stands

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Well, i just see matthewpiano has a pair of Mission 751 speakers, i had Mission to at some point. Try to look for some nice 2nd hand Missions. Allthough they propably set you back for a bit more then 17£, i found overall Tannoy has a bit to much emphasis on the midrange, therefore they didn't sound that very dynamic, at least not to my ears and on my amp.

T

the record spot

Mission 751s - excellent speakers for the money, and see also Mission 731s. Should be able to get those in good condition for about £50. A shop in town uses them - lot of blues and jazz, some rock - Creedence, etc - and they sound good.

A

Anonymous

That combo works well with a pair of Tannoy M1s. These evolved into Tannoy R1s at some point. Both might be tricky to find but they had plenty of punch and rhythm.

Some R1s on ebay here.

Some M1s on ebay here.

Or you could just spend some more time with those Tannoys you have to see if you become attached!

A

Anonymous

Ok, so I'm planning to run my macbook through the amplifier (haven't set it up yet).

What wires do I need and can you specify some which are good value for money (i dont want to spend much on cables).

Also, I have a firewire audio interface which i use for recording guitar through my macbook - it has a pair of unbalanced outputs. Could I connect the firewire interface to the amplifier (its connected to the macbook via firewire obviously). Presumably this would work as an external soundcard/dac kind of thing which would hopefully improve the sound. If so, what wires/cables would i need to?

Just to let you know, I'm using mp3s from itunes - what would be the best way to optimise the sound I get?

All help would be greatly appreciated!!!!! :)

A

Anonymous

Can anyone help me with this? (my second questions about using the firewire interface etc.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts