Which speakers are made in UK?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
There are a lot of great UK HI-FI manufactories, like ATC, B&W, etc. Do they design speakers in UK and make them in other countries? Which speakers are made in UK?

Thanks very much!

A

Anonymous

KEF are the obvious ones. Kent electric and foundry, i think.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="richardjlarby"]KEF are the obvious ones. Kent electric and foundry, i think.[/quote]

Kent Engineering & Foundry, actually, and ever so slightly owned by Hong Kong-based Gold Peak!

A

Anonymous

Hyde Park, London! Speakers Corner. Though, not usually made in the UK. D'Oh!

A

Anonymous

They should have changed the name on the move to Hong Kong. Or renamed a region, in Hong Kong, Kent.

A

Anonymous

Neat acoustics,are made in the UK,so are Revolver.Harbeth,Spendor,all top notch speakers.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Yeb...Neat is properbly one of the best UK base company around (I went there, near Darlington) Bob is a real nice guy and have so much time explaining all different type of cross overs and synergy work to me. Everything is build in uk and even the owner is working in the factory floor.....great day out.

A

Anonymous

Sound or marketing?hahaha.

The new 6series are now made in China though,and the woodwork is Scandinavian sourced.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Frankly, with most of the younger generation choosing office based professions rather than professions that require skills with their hands, it is not inconceivable that the quality of speakers made in China would surpass those made in the UK...if not now, certainly in the not too distant future.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="hifikrazy"]speakers made in China would surpass those made in the UK...i[/quote]
That may be the case but even Non-English person like me still would like to see the traditioanl brands manufacture here in UK. What happen to Linn early on in the year was very sad and it look like more and more brithish brands will get in similar sort of problem.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for your information.

Anyone has the experience of speakers not made in UK? How they work?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
wood sourced from scandinavia not so unsual but chinese made b&w's,i also notice that linn komponent are made in china.should we embrace this or be concerned about possible exploitive labour being used to meet our own ends.tricky one me thinks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Wish to make it clear that there's no evidence as yet that any oif the brands mentioned in this thread are using any form of expoloitative labour. Having spent time at the IAG factory in China, which makes Quad, Wharfedale, Mission and Audiolab, among others, I have to say that what I saw would put most 'Western' factories to shame.

Yes, labour costs are lower there, but the facilities and working conditions seemed extremely good indeed.

It would be foolish for any long-established brand to outsource production to any facility with dubious labour practices, simply because of the kind of suspicions that srping immediately to gregory's mind when 'Made in China' is mentioned. Reputations are hard-won, but easily lost.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
did not spring immediately to mind, only mentioned the possible use of explotive labour because it is a concern we should all be worried about. i am glad you are so well versed in chinese labour as to put our minds at rest regarding there working conditions.as for a long established brand outsourcing production of it's goods,there has been cases of these practises taking place but thankfully this seems to be on the decline.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts