Which speakers are best for this amplifier?

jammo_2

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I've recently bought a Pioneer SX-434 and I'm looking at some speakers to run it through.

I've found two different sets of Wharfedales:

1. Wharfedale Glendale XP2

2. Wharfedale W.30

I'm wondering which speakers sound will sound better with this receiver. I am aware that the Glendale XP2 has 6ohms but I've done some research and I can gather that they should work with this amplifier so long as I don't crank the volume up too high.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

matthewpiano

If you can find a pair, the KEF C30s I use from the 1980s (or their predecessor the Coda III, which I have also owned) are superb and work very well with lower powered vintage amps (my Sansui is only 15wpc, although Sansui's power ratings, like Pioneer's at the time, were very conservative). They are very sensitive (90dB) and easy to drive despite being a sealed box design. As a result of the latter they suffer from none of the boominess that a lot of modern ported speakers do, and they produce a very natural and involving sound.

chris_9

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
If you can find a pair, the KEF C30s I use from the 1980s (or their predecessor the Coda III, which I have also owned) are superb and work very well with lower powered vintage amps (my Sansui is only 15wpc, although Sansui's power ratings, like Pioneer's at the time, were very conservative). They are very sensitive (90dB) and easy to drive despite being a sealed box design. As a result of the latter they suffer from none of the boominess that a lot of modern ported speakers do, and they produce a very natural and involving sound.

Hello Matthew,

I have got a simliar problem these days. I purchased a Kenwood CD receiver (30W output. THD 10%) and a pair of BOSE 125 (6ohms, low sentivity) and found that the sound is so dull and lifeless. Some people said that it's probably because of the amp, which puts out 10% of effective output.

I am thinking about getting another pair of speakers to match the CD receiver. I have listened to Tannoy and love the pitch and mid tone, yet got no experience with KEF. I tried searching around and found that KEF older models do not exist in my country (Japan). I could only find , the cloest, 104ab, which I have not heard anything about it.

What do you suggest? My budget is limited (~500USD) so I probably will go second hand.

Thank you very much!

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts