Which Projector and other questions

TheMaxx1997

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm currently thinking about buying a projector. I've looked through the internet and found these following ones to probably fit the best (I'm happy if there are any other suggestions, though):

Epson EH-TW6100 [860£]
Epson EH-TW6600 [995£]
BenQ W1080ST+ [753£]
BenQ W2000 [837£]

(1€=0,8384£)

I'll mostly use it for viewing movies and playing games (I might do some desktop-work too).

My room is about big enough for 100" projection from each one of these projectores (so no worries there).

Price is also rather unimportant as long as its acceptable (under 1200£).

Additional questions:

Will I have troubles playing games with these beamers (input-lag etc.)?

Will the colores get washed out on the LCD-projectores (Epson)?

Thanks in advance
Greetings from Austria
Max

PS: Sorry for my bad english, its not my main language :)

TheMaxx1997

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,
thank you for your realy fast reply to my post.

Sadly the Sony VPL-HW45 (the only one I found at the store I'll purchase the projector at, but I guess the ES wont change a lot...) is about 2100€ or currently 1780£ and thats to much for me.

If changed the maximum price in my post and added the prices off the different projectores at the above mentioned store. (I assume that, since I've changed it just a few minutes ago, you weren't able to consider that in your reply. I'm sorry)

Anyway, thanks for you reply
Greetings
Max

PS: Do you have any experience with the mentioned projectores in my post? :)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I would highly recommend Sony HW45ES. It's the best projector in its class. I've got the previous model, the HW40 and it's superb.

Hello TheMaxx1997, I saw bigboss's system last year, and his projector/screen combination is simply the best 1080p picture that I have ever seen. Even better than my Pioneer, Panasonic and Sony televisions, and I had them all calibrated ten weeks ago.

Could you maybe buy the Sony HW40 on eBay or second-hand perhaps??

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
What about Everest 3D? That also has Atmos, and sounded quite good at the cinema, which I don't think was Atmos-equipped though. I bought it two months ago, but haven't had a chance to watch and listen to it yet. And my copy of Mad Max 3D, bought in January, is similarly still in its wrapper .... in fact I've just over the last two days been checking, I have about 50 discs, extending to about October last year, that I've bought but not played yet! Slight lack of time, believe it or not .....

I'll see about another trip to your great system, concentrating on Atmos this time!

Son_of_SJ said:
What about Everest 3D? That also has Atmos, and sounded quite good at the cinema, which I don't think was Atmos-equipped though. I bought it two months ago, but haven't had a chance to watch and listen to it yet. And my copy of Mad Max 3D, bought in January, is similarly still in its wrapper .... in fact I've just over the last two days been checking, I have about 50 discs, extending to about October last year, that I've bought but not played yet! Slight lack of time, believe it or not .....

I'll see about another trip to your great system, concentrating on Atmos this time!
I don't have Everest 3D, you can being your disc with you.

abacus

My personal choice from your selection would be the BenQ 2000, as it has a great light output, and being DLP, no movement problems. (But do view before you buy, as some users are susceptible to the rainbow effect, although for most it is a non-issue)

Downside on cheaper projectors is black levels, however unless you are in a dedicated cinema room (Bat Cave) then there will be no major problems.

It is of vital importance that you purchase the correct screen (Gain) to match the projector, to get the best picture, as different technology’s and rooms require different screens. (Sony SRXD projectors work great with high gain silver/grey screens, however if you use one of these screens with DLP, it will put you off projection for life, hence the correct screen is of vital performance)

AV Forums test projectors in both normal and calibrated modes, and they also provide the calibrated settings, so if they have tested it, it’s worth looking up and adjusting the projector settings to match. (NOTE: this no substitute for professional setup, however the cost of getting in a professional for the cheaper projectors is not really cost effective)

Hope this helps

Bill

TheMaxx1997

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,
thank you very much for your post bigboss and abacus.

@abacus:

Do I have to be very careful with transporting an lcd projectore to another location (as you said that DLP have no movement problem) or did you mean something else?

Do they also recommend proper screens for each projectore at AV Forums or can you recommend any brand or type of screen for my mentioned projectores?

I'd like to add that I'm not that sure about the BenQ W2000 because the reviews (either on WhatHifi and other sites) are well not the best (3-4 stars out of 5.
I'm happy with any advices from your side, though.

@bigboss

Do you know anything about convergency issues with the Epson EH-TW6600 or Input-Lag for lets say gaming?

Anyway thank you in advance

Greetings from Austria
Max

abacus

Hi Max

When a say movement I mean on-screen (Sport etc.) not physical movement, although care should always be taken when moving anything.

It’s very seldom that budget projectors get 5 stars, however anything that has 3 or above is fine, (And this includes all the equipment that What Hi-Fi test) so don’t worry about stars unless you are purchasing the exact same equipment (And your room is the same) that they used to test it. (Use stars a rough guide to narrow down your number of choices)

The dealer you purchase the projector from should be able to tell you the best screen, or if bought online, you can check the screen manufactures website, as there are normally guidelines on there.

Hope this helps

Bill

The input lag is just 34ms, so decent for gaming. I have not heard any convergence issues with Epson, but I never looked into it as it wasnt on my shortlist when I was buying a projector.

The is a little bit of judder when watching 3D according to reviews, but still decent to watch.

Epson has instructions on how to adjust colour convergence:

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd3/cpd39809/source/basic_use/tasks/panel_aligning.html

bigboss said:
The input lag is just 34ms, so decent for gaming. I have not heard any convergence issues with Epson, but I never looked into it as it wasnt on my shortlist when I was buying a projector.

The is a little bit of judder when watching 3D according to reviews, but still decent to watch.

Epson has instructions on how to adjust colour convergence:

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd3/cpd39809/source/basic_use/tas...

TheMaxx1997

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

thanks for your reply.

Ohh ok I missunderstud that (my english is still not the best :) ). Ok thanks for that advice with the stars.

Well to be honest, I´ll probably buy the projector on amazon.de since they got the best price for it.

Do you know whats normal to spend for a lets say 100" screen? :) (just well can you call it gut-feeling, I´m not sure)

Greetings and many thanks

Max

abacus

TheMaxx1997 said:
Do you know if screens from Elite Screen are good? Like the M84UWH?

Greetings

Max

Less of a range then some manufactures, but otherwise seem fine, plus there are videos on the website explaining about the different type of screens.

Hope this helps

Bill

TheMaxx1997

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

I´d like to realy thank you for your help. You realy helpt me with choosing and also information-wise.

Greetings and many thanks

Max

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts