which new arm and cartridge for my technics sl1200 mk2

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Now i know full well the divided opinions this turntable has in the audio world so will not be going into that, (although im sure even in this thread the debate may well spark itself off regardless ) Anyway, I have read in various mags and websites that this iconic machine can be transformed with a new arm and cartridge ( i actually enjoy it as domestic t/t as it is but got the upgrade bug now im looking at a new system ) which is now what i'd like to do in near future. I dont wanna spend a fortune here guys but would like a few ideas as to where im going with this, thanks guys.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Origin Live SL1200 armboard (£58 ) for Rega RB arms. (Old style or new style mounts both catered for by same armboard.)

(Ignore the confusing "+400 £+" quoted on that page. The price is £58. Call them to avoid confusion and check availabiliy.)

Rega RB303 (£348 ) or RB202 tonearm (£142 ) or Origin Live OL1 (£199 unmodified) depending on your pocket.

The older style Rega arm fixing will enable the use of a VTA adjuster but you will need to find an older RB300 or RB250 arm.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Great, heavily underrated turntable I remember well from my turntable days.

The arm is fine, you don't need to change it, plus with the Rega you lose the ability to swap headshells. If you really want to do an arm change, go SME, but, before doing that, I'd bang on the best Benz or Dynavector I could afford on the bog standard arm and see how they go.

Back in the time we used to recommend the Denons, the Denon DL 103, partly because that's what our local radio used, but mostly because they sound very good indeed. However if you want to use the DL103, you'll need a much heavier headshell.

P.S Haven't heard a techie for an age, and I don't mean the paper.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
audioaddict said:
Now i know full well the divided opinions this turntable has in the audio world so will not be going into that, (although im sure even in this thread the debate may well spark itself off regardless ) Anyway, I have read in various mags and websites that this iconic machine can be transformed with a new arm and cartridge ( i actually enjoy it as domestic t/t as it is but got the upgrade bug now im looking at a new system ) which is now what i'd like to do in near future. I dont wanna spend a fortune here guys but would like a few ideas as to where im going with this, thanks guys.

Hi AA, really enjoying my 1210, an excellent turntable. What are you using to power the CM1's?

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Well theres an eye opener if the arms fine well id rather keep it. Hi moon i have another post on here tallkin about the stuff ive demoed this week as i have no new amp yet ive just sold my audiolab mono blocs so my options are still open have a read of that post and see whT you guys think

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Great, heavily underrated turntable...

Yes.

altruistic.lemon said:
The arm is fine, you don't need to change it.

Yes again. I would have recommended paying out £70 for a Shure M97XE (track it at 1.25g) and keeping the standard arm.

Buy up a couple of spare headshells and have fun trying out different cartridges.

The Origin Live/Rega armplate/tonearm suggestion was simply to answer the OP's request for alternative tonearm ideas within a reasonable budget. The Origin Live/Rega route is well trodden by many Sl1200 upgraders.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
audioaddict said:
Well theres an eye opener if the arms fine well id rather keep it. Hi moon i have another post on here tallkin about the stuff ive demoed this week as i have no new amp yet ive just sold my audiolab mono blocs so my options are still open have a read of that post and see whT you guys think

ok must have missed it. Will check it out

laters

moon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts