Which is the richer amp?

S83 Trike

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Got the chance of either the NAD C368 or Yamaha AS 701 or 801 at a good discount. But which is the richer sounding of the 3? I dont want a bright sounding amp.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
- Are you looking for something smoother than your current amp?

- Can you demo each amp ie Nad vs A-S801, with your speakers....prefereably comparing them directly to what you already have, just to make sure you aren't moving sideways.

- I haven't heard either amp....but from what I've read, I wouldn't expect either amp to be bright....with the Yamaha being a little livelier and the Nad being a little smoother. Don't take this as gospel, though.

CnoEvil said:

- Can you demo each amp ie Nad vs A-S801, with your speakers....prefereably comparing them directly to what you already have, just to make sure you aren't moving sideways.

- I haven't heard either amp....but from what I've read, I wouldn't expect either amp to be bright....with the Yamaha being a little livelier and the Nad being a little smoother. Don't take this as gospel, though.

Agree with cno, pretty much depends on what speakers you are matching them with.... go audition because nobody has your kit or ears.

rainsoothe

Al ears said:
CnoEvil said:

Agree with cno, pretty much depends on what speakers you are matching them with.... go audition because nobody has your kit or ears.

+ another 1 from me. Related to your other post, speakers are the Tannoys if I'm not mistaking. Either of those would be a sideways move from your CXA60 imo. I would look at stuff like Arcam (i find even the A19 better than the CXA60, which sounds too thin for me, so a not-so-good partnering with the Tannoys), or a used Naim Unitiqute 2 - and get some Tellurium Q Blue speaker cable (if the Black II is too expensive - stay away from TQ Black I)

S

SemiChronic

TQ Blue is nice with Cambridge, but the Silver is way better, no sharpness and nice extended bass.

I havent heard the Ultra Blues yet though

rainsoothe

insider9 said:
Wasn't Tellurium Black I universally praised? Is Black II definitely better?

Well it's all based on my setup. I don't like my stuff to sound too "hi-fi". TQ Black I separates instruments nicely, and some people like that, but it's not full sounding - which OP is looking for. TQ Black II has way better cohesion, while maintaining spaciality, but music sounds more "together" and the instruments have amazing texture (which is why I switched from NACA5, which still does rhythm better, but loses on tonality).

insider9

rainsoothe said:
insider9 said:
Wasn't Tellurium Black I universally praised? Is Black II definitely better?

Well it's all based on my setup. I don't like my stuff to sound too "hi-fi". TQ Black I separates instruments nicely, and some people like that, but it's not full sounding - which OP is looking for. TQ Black II has way better cohesion, while maintaining spaciality, but music sounds more "together" and the instruments have amazing texture (which is why I switched from NACA5, which still does rhythm better, but loses on tonality).
Ok, thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts