Which forum members are using 3D and for what?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone. After buying some new Sony 3D glasses and seeing an improvement over the original pair which came with my TV. I've decide somewhat sceptically to give 3D another go. For me its all about watching movies on Blu Ray, but I've also played a few games in 3D on my XBox 360. This got me thinking, which brand/type of 3D do forum members use, for which purpose i.e. broadcast 3D TV, 3D Blu Ray or 3D Gaming and with how much success?

For me gaming seemed the most effective use of 3D with my old glasses, but with the new TDG-BR250 glasses movies are now much more watchable. Previously the limiting factor being eye fatigue and flicker. So who's using 3D and how are you finding it?

A

Anonymous

hi j-b i use samsung 3d tv and glasses
i use sky for 3d and blu ray 3d, my sons use it for xbox360 i love the 3d on this games machine
but cant get enough software ie blu ray 3d and sky 3d but it slowly improving,
3d is now i big part in my home cinema enjoyment
and the 3d princes trust concert from 2010 is very good i recorded iy on sky 3d channel
i would love some more music concerts on 3d hopefully sky will have some in the near future.

A

Anonymous

I watch via my samsung plasma, and have 2 of the non rechargeable glasses and 2 of the kids glasses.

We mainly watch 3D Blu rays, highlights include Tron & despicable me, avoid pirahana 3d(dreadful), and 3D football on sky, which my (6 yr old) son and I particulary enjoy watching together. The masters golf was excellent also, you could really read the greens.

Didn't know you could get 3D games on the xbox (I assume this is via download), I'm not signed up to xbox live, so I might sign up and give this ago.

We definitely enjoy the 3D element of our system much more than we had expected and friends are amazed by the quality of the 3D image. We just need more content, and for manufacturers to stop tieing up new realeases in packages, excluding those who have bought previous generations of their kit.

A

Anonymous

dvdaudio said:
hi j-b i use samsung 3d tv and glasses
i use sky for 3d and blu ray 3d, my sons use it for xbox360 i love the 3d on this games machine
but cant get enough software ie blu ray 3d and sky 3d but it slowly improving,
3d is now i big part in my home cinema enjoyment
and the 3d princes trust concert from 2010 is very good i recorded iy on sky 3d channel
i would love some more music concerts on 3d hopefully sky will have some in the near future.

Hi, both you and markjaspi have hit on the in my opinion, suicidal marketing strategy that most of the big manufacturers are using to in courage new adapters and the general TV buying public to buy their product over the competitions. This must drive most people mad as the software available is so limited at the minute. New movies are slow to be released and to add insult to injury, the best titles are not on general sale. I for one am not prepared to fork out a small fortune on eBay to get a copy of a manufacturer linked disc. Its like they don't want us to use 3D even though there quite happy to shove it down our throats. 3D may be seen as a high end product, but if it is to progress, it needs a ready source of software.

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a panasonic tv and a BDT-300 bluray player. My tv is only 42" as I have a max. viewing distance of 1.8m and I hate counting pixels when watching SD. I pull the sofa forward when watching blurays and 3D stuff. I recently have loaned an OPPO 93 - the 3D is much more solid than the BDT-300, especially so when I matched the screen size to the player. We have played a couple of downloaded games in 3D on the PS3 but have a handful of blurays. Christmas Carol has been my favourite upto now, followed by Dicspicable me.

Tips for a good 3D picture, switch off all other sources of light in the room, adjust brightness up a couple of clicks and make sure screen size and player output match. (PS3 and oppo allow size to be input in the settings.)

A

Anonymous

markjaspi said:
I watch via my samsung plasma, and have 2 of the non rechargeable glasses and 2 of the kids glasses. We mainly watch 3D Blu rays, highlights include Tron & despicable me, avoid pirahana 3d(dreadful), and 3D football on sky, which my (6 yr old) son and I particulary enjoy watching together. The masters golf was excellent also, you could really read the greens. Didn't know you could get 3D games on the xbox (I assume this is via download), I'm not signed up to xbox live, so I might sign up and give this ago. We definitely enjoy the 3D element of our system much more than we had expected and friends are amazed by the quality of the 3D image. We just need more content, and for manufacturers to stop tieing up new realeases in packages, excluding those who have bought previous generations of their kit.

Hi Mark, I'd be interested to know how you've got on with your Samsung 3D plasma as I've only seen 3D on Samsumg's LCD TVs? Is there any presents of crosstalk, flicker or panning issues as I've seen this with quite a few TVs from different manufacturers. DVDAudio as a Samsung 3D TV, but didn't say if it was plasma or LCD. As far as the XBox, the games I know of that are 3D are, Crysis2 and the latest COD. I can't remember if you need a download from Microsoft to get these options to work.

A

Anonymous

Hi def lugs. I looked at the Oppo 93 as a replacement for my Pioneer LX54 as I was having trouble with the firmware. Most of these have been sorted now but may still be interested. What's your opinion compared to the PS3 and other players you may have? The Pioneer was a good upgrade over my Sony S570 in picture and sound.

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Jase that will require a quick thread hijack >

Compairing it to CA 650BD, PS3 and the 'free' BDT-300 that came with the TV. It manages to pull out more detail in the pictures than any of the other three players, and has no problem with the nice cityscape panning shot at the beginning of the darknight. Maybe not as night and day with the 650BD but a marked step up from PS3 (Not that I was ever unhappy with PS3 for bluray. I purchased the 650BD as a one box solution, for both audio and music, but then my wife decided she wanted 3D so another box appeared.)

Audio performance - playing movies the cambridge has more accuracy on positioning the effects and seems to pull out more details within the sound track. However switch to stereo for music and even though the cambridge still seems to pull out abit more information, the presentation lacks a wide soundstage and is vague for the placement of the individual instruments. But the oppo manages more accuracy, this baffles me a bit. As to how it can not be quite as good on the movies but can manage it for stereo music. Running both units through a DAC to me is purely down to preference I find myself siding with the Oppo.

So I am thinking it may be time for a consolidation back to one (3D)player again.

The short list is Oppo 93 + DAC, Oppo 95 or CA 751BD, and to sell 2/3 of my existing boxes to fund the upgrade.

The 93 the cheapest option as I already have a DAC. It is also in pole posistion for the moment.

< hijack complete normal thread resumed.

A

Anonymous

Jase Brown said:
markjaspi said:
I watch via my samsung plasma, and have 2 of the non rechargeable glasses and 2 of the kids glasses. We mainly watch 3D Blu rays, highlights include Tron & despicable me, avoid pirahana 3d(dreadful), and 3D football on sky, which my (6 yr old) son and I particulary enjoy watching together. The masters golf was excellent also, you could really read the greens. Didn't know you could get 3D games on the xbox (I assume this is via download), I'm not signed up to xbox live, so I might sign up and give this ago. We definitely enjoy the 3D element of our system much more than we had expected and friends are amazed by the quality of the 3D image. We just need more content, and for manufacturers to stop tieing up new realeases in packages, excluding those who have bought previous generations of their kit.

Hi Mark, I'd be interested to know how you've got on with your Samsung 3D plasma as I've only seen 3D on Samsumg's LCD TVs? Is there any presents of crosstalk, flicker or panning issues as I've seen this with quite a few TVs from different manufacturers. DVDAudio as a Samsung 3D TV, but didn't say if it was plasma or LCD. As far as the XBox, the games I know of that are 3D are, Crysis2 and the latest COD. I can't remember if you need a download from Microsoft to get these options to work.

Hi Jase, sorry it's took a while.

I would love to say that this set does not suffer from cross talk, but unfortunately it does a little. Saying that it's very minimal, there's none what so ever on the 3D footie with on the pitch action, but a little on the crowd shots. There where no problems on Tron or Despicable me, but piranha was full of cross talk.
Also I have noticed no issues with flickering, which I think is a person issue, by which I mean that obviously all active glasses flicker to produce the effect, but I think you either notice it or you don't. Also I have not noticed any panning issues (but I've not been looking).

A friend of mine has the more expensive 46C8000 and he was round recently and had a demo of a few 3D scences, he was astonished by the lack of cross talk and I have to say a did notice quiet a lot on his set last time I had a demo at his (although I did not say anything at the time to him as he was all excited about his new purchase).

I recently tried the computer generated 3D demo stuff available on the Virgin service, there is one with a helicopter that had dreadful crosstalk and gave me a headache. I think from my experience so far that the material will determine how much cross talk there is.

I wounder if Samsung will do a better / newer version of the glasses that are retro-compatible, unlike the Bluetooth ones?

A

Anonymous

Hi Mark, it seems increasingly obvious that the 3D software as as much to do with the image crosstalk as the equipement your watching it on. There should be some sort of guide that could tell you how prone a disc is to crosstalk. There must be a web site out there with this info.

A

Anonymous

It would be interesting to know how many members have borught 3D ready equipement and have not used, or intend to use it at all. I thinking mainly TVs but other 3D equipement would be of interest as well just to see if the market is moving towards 3D regardless of people using it.

A

Anonymous

3D is used for both movies and PS3 games, I have to say the amount of 3D movies has become a bit better in the last half year. There's still some rubbish out there though. There are no 3D broadcasts availble here yet.

The original Pana glasses were not as nice as the later generation. They are lighter, rechargable with USB and the sides are covered. I've never noticed any crosstalk worth mentioning.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Both my amp and BD player are 3D enabled but I have no intention of using either.

The next TV I buy will more than likely have 3D capability included as standard but it won't be used.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Using a sony kdl40hx803 with a sony bdps-470 blu-ray player,playstation 3 and xbox 360 sky3d.Have a good selection of 3d blu-ray titles.Brought Tangled on 3d blu-ray yesterday very impressive,and sounds amazing dts-hd 7.1.Wipwout hd in 3d is very good 3d images along with pcm 7.1 sound will blow you away.Also killzone 3,gran turismo(you need to drive via in-car view to get the best out of 3d) cyrisis 2.Worth a mention is the imax 3d disc's too,the amazon rain forest,Grand canyon adventure(has an awesome soundtrack by the dave matthews band),sharks 3d.You can pick those little babies up for around £12 each.Or if you want it "now" £14.99 in hmv stores.Sky 3d shows some good content Ice ige 3,monsters vs alien's,princes trust concert,35mm 3d.songbook-K.T tunstall and so on.enjoy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts