Which copilot laptop? Surface laptop 15-inch Vs Lenovo Slim 7x 14" Vs Samsung Galaxy Book4 Edge 16"?

I'm contemplating between the 3 laptops. I currently have a Surface Pro 7 but want a bigger screen to be able to see Excel sheets with rotas more easily. Touchscreen will be nice, although I've used it rarely on Surface Pro 7 (have used the Surface pen for signatures though which is a useful feature). From what I can see so far:

1) Lenovo is the cheapest, with slightly smaller screen. Not sure of the build quality as it's not a ThinkPad.

2) Samsung has the biggest screen and yet very light. Has eUFS storage instead of SSD. Is that an advantage of a disadvantage? My current phone is Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra. Is the integration useful?

3) Microsoft Surface laptop, perhaps the most vanilla of the three with no bloatware. I like the 3:2 aspect ratio for documents. I've chosen the 256GB version though, and wondered it'll be enough (bearing in mind I have Microsoft 365 with 1TB storage and my current laptop is using only 81GB space). It doesn't have surface pen support from what I can see.

What are your thoughts?

abacus

Do you really need a Co-Pilot Laptop? as currently a conventional laptop will probably be better.
Lenovo have always been good bang for the buck.
Stick with SSD.
The Surface is a looker; however, you can get better bang for the buck if you get something that is more conventional.
Are you tied to the Windows system, as the Apple laptops do a lot in a nice slim size, plus Apple tends to be less intrusive than Microsoft.

Bill

Do you really need a Co-Pilot Laptop? as currently a conventional laptop will probably be better.
Lenovo have always been good bang for the buck.
Stick with SSD.
The Surface is a looker; however, you can get better bang for the buck if you get something that is more conventional.
Are you tied to the Windows system, as the Apple laptops do a lot in a nice slim size, plus Apple tends to be less intrusive than Microsoft.

Bill
Wife has a MacBook, so we already have an Apple laptop. Most of my work involves Teams and OneDrive, so Windows laptop makes sense. The main reason is the snapdragon processor and longer battery life.

Reactions: Kenneth Fernandes

DCarmi

I wouldn't get too worked up by integration between Samsung phone and notebook.

Windows itself does a decent job with 'quickshare' and 'phone link' and Android devices. You can also download Dex, should you feel the need. You can even use your phone as a second screen, if you are desperate enough.

I'm a bit of a fan of stylus support on a tablet but not so much on PC.

Do you get a work discount for Dell? Might be worth looking there, as well. I think NHS get 20% discount.

The other thing to maybe consider is getting an external monitor for home.

Reactions: bigboss
I wouldn't get too worked up by integration between Samsung phone and notebook.

Windows itself does a decent job with 'quickshare' and 'phone link' and Android devices. You can also download Dex, should you feel the need. You can even use your phone as a second screen, if you are desperate enough.

I'm a bit of a fan of stylus support on a tablet but not so much on PC.

Do you get a work discount for Dell? Might be worth looking there, as well. I think NHS get 20% discount.

The other thing to maybe consider is getting an external monitor for home.
Dell only has the 13-inch version currently with Snapdragon. External monitor is a good shout which is what I seriously considered. But space is an issue, and more so portability.

Last edited:

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
I've also used Surface devices since 2012 with the RT. A Surface Pro 2 upgraded to Win 10 still works -like new- as a nearly-daily dedicated music device. So, I would probably start and end with a Surface Laptop if I were shopping for a laptop, and I'd probably opt for a 13.5" model in black.

Since the beginning of laptops, I've always opted for the lowest-weight and highest battery-life + highest-quality combo (bought Sony Vaios for years until Sony sold its computer unit), so only a more or most portable lighter-than-Surface option would require a special consideration for me. Accordingly, the LG Gram would probably compete best with a Surface for me, and that is available in a broad set of size/weight options.

Those are my thoughts; enjoy your shopping and eventual selection.