Which Amplifier Pioneer A30 or Cambridge Audio CXA 60

sureesh40

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I considering purchasing either a Pioneer A30 or Cambridge Audio CXA 60 integrated amp.

I am using a B & W 685 S2 speakers. If the CA amp cost twice the price of the Pioneer (where I am it is) would it be worth while to get the CA over the pioneer.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Having heard neither i could only speculate, but the Cambridge has a built in DAC, do you need one.

Also the Cambridge is more powerful, rated at 60watts. The Pioneer is rated 70 watts but into 4 ohms, which means it's about 40 into 8 ohms, so like for like the Cambridge is 60, Pioneer 40.

What are you using now, why are you changing and what sources and that do you expect to use

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I used to own a NAD326BEE and 356BEE on my Dali Zensor 7 and was never happy with the sound. I switched to the A30, best decision ever. Especially low end is nice and controlled when compared to the NAD. Friend of mine owns the CXA 60 and is also a nice amp, but can't say twice as good, as he has more demanding speakers. It does have digital connections though. My choice would be the A30 since the S2 are not hard to drive. A30 looks a lot better as well in my opinion, especially in combination with my Pioneer N-50A.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Nelis87 said:
I used to own a NAD326BEE and 356BEE on my Dali Zensor 7 and was never happy with the sound. I switched to the A30, best decision ever. Especially low end is nice and controlled when compared to the NAD. Friend of mine owns the CXA 60 and is also a nice amp, but can't say twice as good, as he has more demanding speakers. It does have digital connections though. My choice would be the A30 since the S2 are not hard to drive. A30 looks a lot better as well in my opinion, especially in combination with my Pioneer N-50A.

I will add that I recently set up my my father with a Pioneer A400, it must be 26 years old and it is as good as new, they seem to build quality amps

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I have the Pioneer A-30. I heard several time the CXA60 (with Elac and Cambridge speakers) and have its bigger brother, the CXA80. For my ears, the A-30 is the best amp in its price range, however it is not a match for the CXA60, which has a great price in the UK. I would go with the CXA60, the difference in the sound quality is significant and you also get a very nice DAC.

sureesh40

May 29, 2008
Visit site
My sources are a NAD 427 FM tuner and a Marantz CD Player 6005. I will not change my source components. I am using a vintage Pioneer SX-737 receiver. I am thinking of an upgrade but would be moving into a smaller 68sq m flat in a few years time. I am considering my options.

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
There is no such a thing as "too powerful". A strong amp will provide better sound even with lower volumes, and will have more reserves for more demanding musics.

gasolin

sureesh40 said:
Would the CA CX60 amp be too poweful for a 68 SqM flat?

*ROFL*

To powerfull?

Not at all, 68 SqM is alot and the amp only has 60 watt in 8 ohm and 90 in 4 ohm, enough for small booskshelf speakers but powerfull it isn't, a powerfull amp is something like a Hegel H160

sureesh40

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Oh I forgot to mention the 68 Sq m is the gross floor area of the flat. The hall, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and a kitchen. So the amp will be in the hall which is about 25 Sqm. Do you think it is still suitable

sureesh40

May 29, 2008
Visit site
muljao said:
Well I am not into computer music. I am more of an avid radio listener, so will be listening to FM a lot. So if I do not not stream music ( I don't even really know what this means) would it eb a waste of oney to buy the CA

Having heard neither i could only speculate, but the Cambridge has a built in DAC, do you need one.

Also the Cambridge is more powerful, rated at 60watts. The Pioneer is rated 70 watts but into 4 ohms, which means it's about 40 into 8 ohms, so like for like the Cambridge is 60, Pioneer 40.

What are you using now, why are you changing and what sources and that do you expect to use

Well I am not into computer music. I am more of an avid radio listener, so will be listening to FM a lot. So if I do not not stream music ( I don't even really know what this means) would it be a waste of money to buy the CA

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
This forum wont let me edit my last comment, you already said you are not changing your source components.

The speakers could be a big deal here. What are you using now, and are you changing them (B+w 685 s2)

Edit- sorry having issues with my computer

The good thing is you can bring speakers with you to audition. I don't know how good your old receiver is so can't comment on this.

It isn't unusual for people to recommend their products, so take with agrain of salt- I recently bought a Marantz PM6006 off superfi , open boxed model for 240 pounds. This got a 5 star rating here (which also isn't everything) at 400 pounds. It is in my opinion an excellent amplifier that has the connections you need, plus a few digital ones which at the very least give you options going fwd should you need them

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Somehow it looks like i wrote the first paragraph when you quoted me, but i believe that's your paragraph. Two things- at the moment you only want music but don't want to stream, second, what speakers do you have in mind? The thing about streaming is it is becoming very popular, do you think you'll ever use this. It's basically playing music from a source other than say a physical cd, you can stream off the internet, you can actually listen to radio off the internet normally using the same equipment (not always). Are you going to buy a tuner?

edit- i see you have one

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
"would it be a waste of money to buy the CA" - if you really ask this question, then it would be certainly. I listened the A-30 with floorstanding speakers, and it is fine until medium level, then if you want the music louder, it will harden the sound. (In your case, why not just go with a cheap, used amplifier, until you know what you want exactly?)

sureesh40

May 29, 2008
Visit site
kukulec said:
"would it be a waste of money to buy the CA" - if you really ask this question, then it would be certainly. I listened the A-30 with floorstanding speakers, and it is fine until medium level, then if you want the music louder, it will harden the sound. (In your case, why not just go with a cheap, used amplifier, until you know what you want exactly?)

I notice you have both the CA CXA80 and the Pioneer A30. So how do they compare. is there a big difference. I suppose there should be considering the price difference. For me I want to make use of the full potential of my B&W 685 S2 speakers. So I am wondering if the CXA60 would do it justice. However I would not to spend a lot more for the CA amp if the difference is only marginally

sureesh40

May 29, 2008
Visit site
muljao said:
Somehow it looks like i wrote the first paragraph when you quoted me, but i believe that's your paragraph. Two things- at the moment you only want music but don't want to stream, second, what speakers do you have in mind? The thing about streaming is it is becoming very popular, do you think you'll ever use this. It's basically playing music from a source other than say a physical cd, you can stream off the internet, you can actually listen to radio off the internet normally using the same equipment (not always). Are you going to buy a tuner?

edit- i see you have one

Yes sorry I don't know how that happened. Guess I somehow mixed things up. But I think I got it now.

Yes I am open to internet radio. I will not change my speakers. How can I use the CA amp to listen to internet radio. I have wi fi and a laptop. BTW is internet radio just as good as an analoque FM tuner.

sureesh40

May 29, 2008
Visit site
muljao said:
Nelis87 said:

I will add that I recently set up my my father with a Pioneer A400, it must be 26 years old and it is as good as new, they seem to build quality amps

Oh so how does the A30 compare with the legendary A400.

rainsoothe

Hi. It's very important to audition for yourself. I, for one, like Nad amplification, and it should partner the 685 just fine (something like Nad C326). Also, if you're in the CXA60 price range, you should check Arcam A19. It's a much better amplifier, the CXA60 just sounds a bit thin (imo). Marantz might be worth checking out as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts