Which AMP + CD for my B&W CM9

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Folks,

I'm from Germany and I'm looking for a new AMP + CD Player for my B&W CM9. I want to upgrade from my Creek Evolution Combi.

I like a neutral, lively and subtlety sound but also a deep full and controlled bass! That's what I'm missing with my Creek Evolution.

I've heard the Arcam A 38 an CD 37 Combi with the CM 9and I was very impressed! I like the warm full bodied sound of the Arcam and the much better and deeper bass compare with the Marantz PM 15 S2 LE.

But is Arcam a good match to my B&W which need an AMP which is very attacking and lively also in the in the high frequencies? (because the CM 9 has an also more likely warm and fully sound)

Perhaps the Arcam is a little bit too warm?

What is your opinion? Which AMP and CD would you suggest for the CM 9? (up to 1650$ for AMP)

Sorry for my bad english

Thanks all

Jan

Hi Jan

Yup, can't comment on the A38, but having owned entry-level/budget Arcams they can lack a little oomph compared to other brands. The natural partner to B&W is Rotel - both part of the same company.

The Rotel 1520 would be my choice for B&Ws of CM9 quality or look at Roksan Kandy and maybe Naim.

I would strongly advice a dem to see how other amps compare with Arcam.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jan,

First off your English is pretty much flawless, better than many English people I know so no need to apologise there!

Arcam and B&W are quite a common combination and one I’ve used myself in the past, as you say they can be on the warm side but some people like that. Personally I liked the combination more when I was younger but have grown to prefer a more neutral sound.

Cyrus often get used with B&W and are very different to Arcam, they also tend to divide opinion (as does Arcam) but normally for the opposite reasons to Arcam. If you get a Cyrus with sufficient power it can sound very good with the CM series. I’m not a huge fan of Cyrus but did hear them with the CM8’s and was impressed with the synergy between the two.

I’d also have a look at the Roksan amps and possibly Naim if you don’t mind 2nd hand.

A

Anonymous

Hi, i am not sure what model it was. However, when i went to the B&W factory in worthing they had CM9's in the enterance on a rotel amp. sorry for the lack of detail on models but it was a couple of months ago. so maybe worth looking into

A

Anonymous

Hi,

many thanks for your reply!

Roksan Caspian M2 could be a good idea, what do you think?. In Germany there is no Dealer which has Arcam and Roksan so it is difficult for me to compare them. Does the Roksan Caspian have the same detail resolution and subtlety as the Arcam A 38?

The great Advantage on the Arcam is the Bass. In my experience other amps which are more brightly, are not as full and deep in the bass.

So I search for an Amp which is strong and punchy and with a depp an full bass but also brightly treble

The Rotel stuff is good but I want to upgrade to the next price class, I think the 15er CD Player and Amps are in the same class as my Creek

Does anybody have the Arcam and the CM 9? What are your experiences?

Many thanks

Jan

A

Anonymous

...NAIM could be also a good match with B&W. I think they are more punchy as the Arcam. But I'have heard that other people say, that NAIM and B&W are not a good match?

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Recently heard the CM9 with the Caspian M2 and thought they offered what you are looking for, lots of deep , driving bass not at all shrill, far more balanced than I was expecting.I was listening to Talking Heads which sounded stunning and a mix of reggae ,rock, classical and accoustic.

I would seriously try and audition, I personally don't think the Kandy would be up to the job to get the best out of your speakers.

I also heard the Naim XS with B&W CM 8's and didn't think it was a good match but that is only my opinion, but think it would be less so with the CM 9.

Good Luck

A

Anonymous

Shanka said:
I also heard the Naim XS with B&W CM 8's and didn't think it was a good match but that is only my opinion, but think it would be less so with the CM 9.

Thank you very much for your opinion. Why Naim isn't a good match? So the Roksan is in your opinion the better partner to the CM 9?

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

How can I describe this, the Naim/B&W sounded good but didn't give me the wow factor and that is very subjective and it wasn't what I was looking for, I wanted something that made me smile, gasp and go thats the one for me.

When I heard the Caspian I got all of the above, I felt it had more punch , more excitement , made me just want to pick it up and take it home straight away.

You have to see what suits you but although I am not currently using B&W I do have B&W speakers but was very impressed with the CM 9/Caspian combination but there may be a better one but I think it will light up your speakers more than the Arcam ( I also have a small Arcam amp and am looking for a 9 to replace it so I also like Arcam)

If you can get a demonstration, hear for yourself,I hope you will enjoy it.

Have fun

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Just to add another view and apologies if this breaks rules but another uk hifi magazine recently reviewed both amps in a group test which should be online, I will not put the link but hope you find it just to give another opinion.

Apologies if this is a bit naughty.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi I have heard cm 8s with a musical fidelity m6i also the musical fidelity m6 cdp sounded realy good tight deep bass fantastic midrange acoustic guitar + vocals and a sweet top end not harsh or bright I am thinking about replacing my mission 752s with cm8s /cm9s good luck with your auditioning

A

Anonymous

thanks for replys!

Arcam and Roksan seem to be both good choices

I hear a lot of Jazz and I've read that the Arcam is often recommended for that kind of music because of its subtetly and natural sound.

musical fidelity and roksan are also good amps, the musical fidelity perhaps could be a little bit too punchy.

I think i will try to get an Arcam and a Roksan to test at home. I will ask the german dealers, if I can get one.

best regards

jan

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
For the sound you are looking for, I too would recommend the MF M6i, as well as ATC SIA2-150, Electrocompaniet ECI-3 and Bel Canto C5i.

I would suggest that you don't rule out any amp, until you've heard it for yourself.

Sliced Bread

Ditto on Electrocompaniet.
I have the cm8's and have heard an Electrocompaniet prelude (though with different speakers) and I'm itching to hear tge two together as I think they'll complement eachother nicely...especially for Jazz.

A

Anonymous

I have been using a Classé CAP-2100 and a CA-2100 to bi-amp my pair of CM9s, and I find it necessary. You see, the CM9 tends to boost too much bass, especially in smaller spaces as mine. B&M seems to be aware of that and the speakers come with some foam plugs to ease off the bass if so required. But putting in these plugs to the flowports seems to decrease the bass extension too much -- and my cats keep pulling them out to tear them apart! So by dedicating an amplifier to the bass channel, it delivers better control and taming of the bass, which was also what I observed during the demo when comparing a single amp scenario with a bi-amp scenario.

I have also been using a Marantz SA-11S2 (SA)CD player. The three of them work out quite good on classical musics, which is all I listen to. And let me tell you, the mid-range is awesome! Cello is my favourite instrument. Listen to Rostropovich's playing of the fifth of Bach's cello suites (save his interpretation though), and you will agree that the FST is worth it for the CM9's price.

I would say it all boils down to how much bass you want. CM9 is surely a bass rich speaker. It may be good for some musics but undesirable for others. I wouldn't say that I am perfectly happy with my combination but after all, who is? So do give yourself enough demo to choose.

Hope my sharing helps.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

thanks for your replies!

Bi Amping is a nice idea. Arcam and Roksan have Amplifier to go Bi amping (f. e. Arcam P38). I can imagine, that there is a better control of the bass. And thats what I want: Not more Bass but better control of it.

thank you for your advice.

Jan

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have the offer to get an Leema Acoustics Tucana (first Version) for a very attractive Price ($2000). The dealer told me, that the Tucana ist one of the best Amp in its price class (originial price is $3780). So it coud be a very good solution for a very good price.

So what do you think about it? It is a good deal for the CM 9? Did anyone hear it?

Thanks

Jan

TRENDING THREADS