Which Amp - Cambridge Audio 840A or Yamaha A-S1000

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I need (my wife thinks otherwise) to buy a Stereo Amp and want some advice in choosing one. I am looking at the Yamaha S1000 and the Cambridge Audio 840a V2. I can get both for the same price.

My CD player is Cambridge Audio 740C and I will be driving Proac Studio 140’s with the new amp. I currently do not have a dedicated Stereo amp and run the CD player through a HT 5.1 amp and a Rotel Power amp 1080, which powers the front speakers.

I would like to get rid of the power amp for a dedicated stereo amp with a HT bypass which means the new amp will need to power the front speakers of the 5.1 set up.

My current set up gives me lots of power, thanks to the large Rotel power amp but does not have a finesse of a stereo amp, which I presume is due to using the preamp stage of my HT amp

I like listening to all kinds of music including jazz, electronic and dance and like to listen to music loud.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - Regard my HT amp, I currently have a Cambridge Audio 540R which I soon need (my wife again thinks otherwise) to replace with either a Pioneer LX 72 or Yamaha 3900, as the 540R does not do Hi Def audio.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Why don't you keep the Rotel power amp and get a good preamp. This might be the better option as the Rotel power amp you have will drive almost any speaker and together with a good preamp should sound better than either of the intergrateds you are considering.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
haven't heard the yamaha. I have the 840v2. Very powerful - very loud, clear and spacious. Plays very nicely at low volumes too - lots of detail and finesse in my opinion.

Have a listen to both and let us know what you prefer.

tonky

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
kunar:
Hi

I need (my wife thinks otherwise) to buy a Stereo Amp and want some advice in choosing one. I am looking at the Yamaha S1000 and the Cambridge Audio 840a V2. I can get both for the same price.

My CD player is Cambridge Audio 740C and I will be driving Proac Studio 140's with the new amp. I currently do not have a dedicated Stereo amp and run the CD player through a HT 5.1 amp and a Rotel Power amp 1080, which powers the front speakers.

I would like to get rid of the power amp for a dedicated stereo amp with a HT bypass which means the new amp will need to power the front speakers of the 5.1 set up.

My current set up gives me lots of power, thanks to the large Rotel power amp but does not have a finesse of a stereo amp, which I presume is due to using the preamp stage of my HT amp

I like listening to all kinds of music including jazz, electronic and dance and like to listen to music loud.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - Regard my HT amp, I currently have a Cambridge Audio 540R which I soon need (my wife again thinks otherwise) to replace with either a Pioneer LX 72 or Yamaha 3900, as the 540R does not do Hi Def audio.

I haven't heard the Yamaha and I only own the V1 of the 840A. However, I have mine set up in the same way you would have yours. It's very easy to set up and the fixed input works a treat - again, I have no idea how the Yamaha deals with it (I'm sure it has a similar way). The sound from the 840 integrated amps are very straightforward. You get very accurate sounds, excellent, tight bass and plenty of power. You have the 740C so they would look nice together (same remote as well). You won't go wrong with the 840A and you can buy it, try it for a few weeks and get a full refund if it's not for you. I'm sure the Yamaha is very nice also though.

A

Anonymous

Owning the Yamaha A-S1000 im all for this amplifier. It impresses immediately with depth and weight adding a sense of scale to music. I have never (ever) needed to push that volume dial beyond the 11 o'clock position and even then that has only happened fewer times than i can count fingers. This amp can go loud...it infectious too, you prefer to have the volume turned up
emotion-4.gif

Although not the most dynamic amplifier, perhaps not as accurate as some, it makes up for this in other areas. The A-S1000 impressed me with the way it handles downtempo, progressive dance and alternative music. It adds warmth to music allowing easier listening where my former arcam FMJ A32 left it cold. Pink Floyd's Take it Back is brought to life with a sound that fills up the room, drum beats that are bassy and impressive, with emphasis on the echoing guitar pieces throughout. Darin Epsilon's progressive set at Avalon is attacking, very rythmic and bassy (I have never altered with the amps bass and treble dials as I feel best sound is achieved without).

Mark my words as a fan of dance music, this is the best amp I have ever owned for this genre. You feel emerged in the tracks rythm and weight, although not the most clynical sound (a sound I find leaves me cold and unattatched) the music is warm, very grandeur and thoroughly enjoyable. To be honest I can't imagine changing now, I have found the amp thats suits me and my taste in music.

With the volume turned up you feel the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. There is always that little bit extra it can give...the 110% that my previously owned Nad c350 or Marantz pm4000 could not attain. Albeit a more refined amplifier than those mentioned, it considerably trumps them. Built like a tank and with a huge transformer it does require sturdy support, but with sleek old school design and attractive wooden paneling im sure this will be the last thing on your mind. Although some may find its looks distasteful, aesthetics played an integral part in my decision to go for this amplifier.

So thats my stance on the Yamaha A-S1000. It has all the necessary instructions in integration with a home cinema, its easy to connect. Consider the CA 840A for system synergy, I have never had the honour of testing the amplifier but I am sure someone can give a detailed account for it. Im sure your decision will not be an easy one. Best of luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts