Which all in one hi-fi ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I bought my first hi-fi system about 27 years ago, it was a dedicated separates system, tuner, amp, tape and record deck, made by sharp in a cabinet with a glass door, I later bought a technics cd player to go with it, the sound sounded good through the speakers and especially good through my headphones with "all types of music" (sounded better with headphones)

I went from this to one of the first micro systems, a jvc mx1, this sounded ok ish, and through the headphones fine just like my previous hi-fi, I have now bought the denon dm37 and must say that I am not totally happy with it, the sound through the speakers is very good but in my opinion lacks a little bit of mid range vocal clarity, and the music can sound a little harsh in places when listening with headphones (sounds better through the speakers), also the volume control steps are too large, and dab radio seems to vary quite alot between stations, but I believe this is normal for dab radio

I just want a good all round system like I originally had with a gradual volume control, which sounds good through speakers and headphones, without any harshness and slightly better vocal clarity, I feel that a good system would play all types of music well, would the arcam solo mini be the answer, would it be a significantly better all rounder, any recommendations or should I just wait for newer arrivals?

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
If anyone said the Denon is better than the Arcam they would be pulling your trousers down!!

My personal fave the Myryad Mi that i have personaly listened too and contemplating for a second system.

A

Anonymous

I am at the same point. I had a LINN CLASSIK that has now given up!

I have demoed the DENON, new CLASSIK, SOLO MINI and MYRYAD MI. I myself would now like DAB on an ALL-IN-ONE so I ruled out the LINN although it sounds great.

The DENON was just not good enough all round for me as I also listen through headphones with my SENN. 650's and for this it's poor.

The SOLO MINI is a good compromise all round, it is good for everything but not the last word in hifi.

The MYYRAD MI is a great all-in-one with lots of functionability and very detailed sound.

All the above go from £230 t0 £1250 and it's sort of true that you get what you pay for !

Don't get me wrong, the DENON is good at it's price and I would own one if it was all I could afford.

A

Anonymous

I agree with Tarquinh. The NaimUniti is head and shoulders above the others and has the advantage of Internet Radio, music streaming and a DAC built-in. Like all new systems it does sound bright at first but settles down nicely after a suitable burn-in period of about a month. However, it is £1995 and it does demand to be listened too i.e. it's style is not just for background music! I have a Denon, a Linn Classik and a NaimUniti and I stop whatever I'm doing and get totally involved in the music whenever the NaimUniti is playing. That doesn't happen with either the Linn or the Denon and sometimes you just want the radio playing in the background without stopping whatever else you are doing!

If Internet Radio and music streaming are not on your wish list I think the Arcam has exactly the sound you are after. A Linn Classik would also provide the sound you want but doesn't offer DAB. The built-in DAC on the NaimUniti also gives the advantage of allowing a digital connection from a Freesat, Freeview or SKY box where you might get much better radio quality than you get on DAB. It is not something I have tried but I have read reports that claim Freesat radio is much better than DAB or any of the other digital radio formats. I think the latest Classik also has a digital input but I don't think the Arcam does.

If headphone listening is important then I'd highly recommend a headphone amp. Even a relatively cheap one will sound much better than the headphone socket built-in to any of the all-in-one's and most amplifiers. I have a Graham Slee headphone amp plugged into my Linn Classik and it is a major improvement on the Classiks headphone socket. If you are happy with the sound of the Denon through speakers then even a £100 headphone amp maybe the best starting point. The Pro-Ject Head Box MkII Headphone Amplifier is £89.95 from Audio Affair. Pay more for a Graham Slee Nova (£229) and you'll get a much smoother sound. You don't say which headphones you use but that would be the next step. Headphones are personal choice based on comfort as well as sound but a pair of Grado 60i would be a good place to start looking. You'll still be dependant on the quality of the CD and DAB built-in to the Denon but listening on headphones will be much improved.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the views

Yes I think I might try the arcam and other all in one's when I have the money to buy a replacement system, it is just a pity that the denon has a couple of main issues especially has it got 5 stars

caddyhound

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
Don't forget the Primare CDi10.Some exdem ones around that are great value.Primare sounds particularly good with PMC speakers- DB2's would bean excellent match if you can afford it.The Primare looks good too.Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts