WHFS&V May 2009 Issue almost gave me heart attack !

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Honestly speaking when I picked-up the May issue and read the review of luxury headphones and saw 3 stars given to Shure SE530 I was in shock since I placed an order on Amazon for Shure SE530 a day before, I couldn't believe why on earth someone at WHF would give these cans 3 stars when the entire world is craving for these and has given raving reviews. But......

I then went to few respectable websites to read the reviews about Sennheiser IE 8 and was surprised that company which sells really cheap IEM headphone and has never been in the elite league of IEM can really come up with something that can trump names like UE 10 and Shure SE530.

As a patriot WHFS&V reader, I immediately cancelled my Amazon order and now need further advice I hope someone from these forums or WHF would help me. As I would solely depend on your advice because it is next to impossible to find a dealer who would let high end IEM for testing because of price and hygiene reasons.

After a long research and browsing tons of reviews I picked Shure SE530 over UE10 to replace my existing Shure E4C because they are better on bass, I listen to lot of Dance, Techno but on the other extreme end I also listen to classical music and really appreciate to hear the details of each and every instruments even musicians foot tapping.

I read IE8 are quite heavy on bass, although there is option to adjust the bass with screw but my real worry is are these on par or better then Shure SE530 or UE10 when it comes to midrange, treble and separation of instruments. My ears are well trained and mostly list to lossless music on Iphone and PC.

I also commute daily via public transport so sound isolation is also important. I would really hope someone at WHF or on these forums who has compared these 3 would give a speedy response.

Thanks a millions in advance for helping me in spending my hard-earned money wisely in these extreme economic conditions.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have some items in my system that are WHF 5 star rated and some that never been reviewed by them at all.

I never bought based on WHF reviews. My Solo-Mini did not even get reviewed until long after I bought it. I also rejected three pairs of 5 star speakers in favour of a pair that WHF have never even reviewed.

I have listened to two Naim Nait models (5i and XS) both raved about by WHF and found one dire and one superb. WHF cannot get it right for everyone!

It is gratifying that my Solo-Mini is well received by WHF for only one reason... If I sell it, then it will attract more interest than an item that only got 3 stars! (And with a current RRP of £750 that is quite significant.) Otherwise it has no impact on my day-to-day enjoyment.

In the case of your earphones then resale is irrelevant so go with your instinct (and all the other reports/reviews) and hear for yourself.

People are NOT going to point at you in the street and comment on your 3 star earphones
emotion-2.gif

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I've been using a pair of Klipsch X10s for a couple of months now, and I'm still really impressed. You may find a dealer with spare silicon tips who would let you have a listen - the X10s are supplied with four different pairs.

Oh, and it's not

NigelF: someone at WHF

it's all of us.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
If you like the product, why should you care if it get 1 stars or 100 stars!?

I loke hot curry but Mr. E like raw fish....could be as simple as that.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman:I loke hot curry but Mr. E like raw fish....could be as simple as that.

It's never quite as simple as that - after all, the two aren't mutually exclusive...

A

Anonymous

The SE530s haven't suddenly turned bad, it's just that they've been around a long time now, and newer rivals have come along that offer better sound for the money. Judging from your requirements/preferences, I'd suggest the X10s sound like they should really work for you - terrific detail, timing and all-round balance. On the other hand, I suspect the IE8s may be a touch rich for your tastes.

Of course, if you've listened to and enjoyed the SE530s, nothing should prevent you from buying a pair - not even our review.

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I would disagree on star ratings issue as a WHF reader for over a decade I know these rating are directly relevant to quality and price, so when I want to spend my hard-earned 250 quid I want to make sure I buy the best which money can buy and as I said earlier it is impossible to test these headphone in shop so I am completely dependant on others who owns or have tested these.

So someone at WHF can you please provide your advise on preference mentioned in the initial post.

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Tom for quick response, I haven't considered the Klipsch Image X10s at all I was not sure if the run in the same price band as Shure SE530, UE10 and IE8s, but based on your comments I would seriously try to find someone who can let me test these.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Hey Nigel

I would recommend Shure Se530 if you need more honest reviews checkout EDITED BY MODS, I am not sure about What hifi ratings I heard stuff.tv are the same bunch of people who write for what hifi and on stuff.tv Klipsch are at number 7 on top ten list while low end shure se110 at 3rd can't understand the logic.

I would advise you to find a retailer who will let you test klipsch x10 with shure se530.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Zubkabera:I would recommend Shure Se530 if you need more honest reviews checkout EDITED BY MODS,

'More honest reviews'? What are you suggesting?

Zubkabera:I am not sure about What hifi ratings I heard stuff.tv are the same
bunch of people who write for what hifi

You heard wrong.

Zubkabera:I would advise you to find a retailer who will let you test klipsch x10 with shure se530.

First sensible thing you've said in the whole post.

Regarding stuff.tv...I did notice that their reviews kind of mirror what hi-fi reviews with similar wordings. Check the latest Panasonic DMP-BD60 review for example, and stuff.tv review always comes a few days after what hi-fi review. Are they infringing on your copywright, or do they have your permission for the same?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
bigboss:Regarding stuff.tv...I did notice that their reviews kind of mirror what hi-fi reviews with similar wordings. Check the latest Panasonic DMP-BD60 review for example, and stuff.tv review always comes a few days after what hi-fi review. Are they infringing on your copywright, or do they have your permission for the same?

They sit about 20ft away from us, so they tend to nick our reviews when we've covered a product they haven't.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
chebby:without knowing you were typing something as well.

That's comforting - I thought you were watching me...

No. Far better things to be doing right now like carefully packing DAC & laptop and cables to take to Rega RS3 demo later
emotion-1.gif

idc

chebby:My goodness the two reviews are almost word for word in places.

If this is the case (and I do not doubt Chebby, but I have not read the reviews) then I would respectfully suggest that this needs to flagged up with editorial management. I do not think that it is acceptable for an article to be plagiarised and published unless it is credited to the original writer. Otherwise Stuff should write their own review.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
idc:If this is the case (and I do not doubt Chebby, but I have not read the reviews) then I would respectfully suggest that this needs to flagged up with editorial management. I do not think that it is acceptable for an article to be plagiarised and published unless it is credited to the original writer. Otherwise Stuff should write their own review.

It's not being plagiarised by the lovable gadget-scamps. We're both part of the same company. It's not a problem at all.

idc

I am thinking of newspaper and magazine articles where at the end there is a note stating 'this article originally appeared in the so and so on such and such a date'. I take it you do not get paid by the word! That is again a serious point becasue many feature writers do get paid by the article.

BTW, if they are 'lovable gadgetscamps' to you, what are you to them
emotion-2.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
idc:I am thinking of newspaper and magazine articles where at the end there is a note stating 'this article originally appeared in the so and so on such and such a date'. I take it you do not get paid by the word! That is again a serious point becasue many feature writers do get paid by the article.

Everyone on both magazines is salaried staff, so the problem doesn't arise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts