WHF Team - some help again - home cinema amplifier

da_grudge

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
Hello again. I decided to buy an home cinema amplifier, as I want not only to listen to music but also for some movies. The thing is that I would like the best possible for music. I heard Arcam is grear (AVR - 350 maybe). Also your awards winner yamha 863 is good for music? I;ll probably have focal 706v for front speakers, but haven't decided for sure.

Thank you again for all your help.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Happy to help, but a few questions first:

What's your budget for the amp, and how worried are you about the need for features such as HD audio support; HDMI switching etc? You say 'some movies', but it'd be good to know whether you intend to go Blu-ray; add other devices in (eg Sky, Virgin etc).

da_grudge

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
well the budgte is 600 pounds max. the arcam is selling the 350 for that price now. I donït have blu ray for now, only an oppo 981, but maybe in one or two years I will have one. So, I guess itïs important to have some of those features, but if if I found a real good deal without those features I will think about it.

Thank you

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Nope, didn't forget - just wanted chance to have a chinwag about it with the test team.

It's a tricky one, really. We feel the best new-season amp at this price-point - the Yamaha 863 (which you can actually get for less than £600) offers about 70 percent of the music performance of the Arcam, but about 140 percent (I know, I know - but you get our point) of the movie performance.

I'd get to hear both - and some of the other options, particularly models from Marantz and Sony - before parting with your cash, as only you can judge whether their musical performance/movie features truly satisfy your ears.

da_grudge

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
I see. But the Arcam maybe doesn't have all the latest features the yamaha offers (like hd audio) or is it pretty good in terms of the latest techology?

I have a big prob with the yamaha as here in Portugal (as in rest of Europe) they are not selling it. I really don't know why, but it;s true. Do you recommend anythiing else besides this yamaha (maybe sony 2400) that has the qualities I mentioned before?

Thank you so much again, I really appreciate your work.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, I can't personally monitor every Forum thread 24/7!

Anyhow, to answer your questions...

yes, the Arcam is sparse on features, with no HD Audio support, upscaling, etc etc - however, you could say that for just about any AV amp of that vintage. What it does still do is deliver an unusually musical perfomance for an AV amp.

As alternative to Yamaha to fulfil your criteria, we'd suggest the latest Sony and Denon ranges

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
Sorry, I can't personally monitor every Forum thread 24/7!

Slack-ah!

(But FWIW, I'd be more than happy with the Sony STR-DA2400ES if the Yamaha wasn't available where I lived)

da_grudge

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
thank you. final question: how does the sony 2400 compares to the arcam? Does the audio come close? Probably better for the video...

Thank you

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts