What was the first hi-fi separates you brought with your own money?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Tonestar1

Marantz CD 5005
Technics SU-C800UM2 Pre and SE-A900S Mk2 Power Amp (open box from RS)
B&W 601 S2

Bought around the late 90s . Going from a JVC mini system to this set up was like night and day. It completely blew me away. Of course I blew both the speakers but still have them in the loft in case I ever want to attempt a repair :)
Technics power amp is running my front two speakers via pre out from my AV amp after a good 15 years in storage. Still looks pretty good to this day.

Technics.jpg

robdmarsh

Marantz CD 5005
Technics SU-C800UM2 Pre and SE-A900S Mk2 Power Amp (open box from RS)
B&W 601 S2

Bought around the late 90s . Going from a JVC mini system to this set up was like night and day. It completely blew me away. Of course I blew both the speakers but still have them in the loft in case I ever want to attempt a repair :)
Technics power amp is running my front two speakers via pre out from my AV amp after a good 15 years in storage. Still looks pretty good to this day.

View attachment 4244
Awww.... nice!

Reactions: Tonestar1

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I was very fortunate that during my teenage years for Xmas I usually got one HI Fi component. So before spending my own money on Hi Fi I already had a separates system.

However the first component I bought with my own money was my Sony CDP-XB930 CD Player in 1999, which actually still is a part of my main system today.

SteveR750

SteveR750 how are you. Nice to see you old timers.
I'm good thanks pal. Been out / away from the hifi scene thing, it's an expensive and time sapping rabbit hole! Plus the pseudo science that is bandied around just gets wearing after a while, but it's interesting to see some familiar names still active in this forum. I'm half thinking of starting a thread on vintage analogue systems for the nostalgic elderly residents to get dewy eyed over!

Reactions: WayneKerr
I'm good thanks pal. Been out / away from the hifi scene thing, it's an expensive and time sapping rabbit hole! Plus the pseudo science that is bandied around just gets wearing after a while, but it's interesting to see some familiar names still active in this forum. I'm half thinking of starting a thread on vintage analogue systems for the nostalgic elderly residents to get dewy eyed over!
Please do.... :)

abacus

From memory (It was the 70s)

Garrard AP76 Turntable
Shure 75e pickup cartridge
Record cleaning arm?
Eagle AA6 amplifier
Heathkit 2 way speakers
Nikki FAM400 Tuner
Akai 35D cassette Deck
Akai 4000DS reel to reel
Tandy Headphones

Bill

Al is a terrier! It seems a more disciplined forum these days, unlike the dark days before it was closed down for a while. Is Trevor still lurking? He was an argumentative character but more often than not made good points!
TrevC is still around I think.
The new moderators attempt to keep things good and civil and within community rules etc but spam has become a bit of a nightmare and often appears when old treads are resurrected.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts