What was the first hi-fi separates you bought with your own money?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I built a Connoisseur BD1 turntable early in the 1970s. That was the first piece of hifi kit I had. I made my own speaker enclosures but I can't remember what the drivers were. A Uni friend built the amplifier, my first degree was in Electronics, as he was a much better circuits man than me.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Can you remember the first hi-fi separates you brought with your own money? I can, it was a second hand Yamaha A-320 from the mid 80's I brought second hand from a charity shop in 2000 for 60 quid when I was 16 years old. It was my first stereo amplifier and set my on my hi-fi separates journey. I still own it and but I've not used it since 2004 or 2005.
My first set up bought around 1990 consisted of:

Denon PMA250mkII £150
DUAL CS 505 MK2 second hand £80
A Denon tape deck, can't remember the model, around £150
An AWAI tape deck around £180
B & W Vision DS2 £150

The Denon amp I now use at work
The Denon tape deck is on top of my wardrobe
The Dual is in the cellar in need of repair but I've got a RP3 from the same era. Still not sure whether to get the dual repaired and move the RP3 on.
The B & W speakers are currently in my son's attack bedroom they get used from time to time for parties or just testing my collection if other people's discarded hi-fi

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Marantz CD 5005
Technics SU-C800UM2 Pre and SE-A900S Mk2 Power Amp (open box from RS)
B&W 601 S2

Bought around the late 90s . Going from a JVC mini system to this set up was like night and day. It completely blew me away. Of course I blew both the speakers but still have them in the loft in case I ever want to attempt a repair :)
Technics power amp is running my front two speakers via pre out from my AV amp after a good 15 years in storage. Still looks pretty good to this day.

View attachment 4244
That's the amp I wanted but above my budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts