What used CD player to go for (upto £70)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Looking at a used Kenwood 3020SE (or a Audilab 8000a) amp to go with my Tannoy mercury F1's and now looking at a used CD player to go with them...music is varied but mainly hard dance, metal etc....Have looked at the Marantz CD63 SE but wondering what else could be matched to the speaker/amp? (speaker cable is QED Classic)

Shugsi

matthewpiano:The Marantz is excellent but also look at the Rotel RCD965BX. Better build quality than the CD63 and a really involving sound.

I think the Rotel 9 series is still great. Up in the loft I have my RCD 975, the Rotel from yesteryear sounds very open and not fussy about partnering equipment.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Players go wrong. Many dealers sell ex/dem stock cheaper ... with a warranty. Might cost a few pennies more but if cash is tight it may pay out in the long run. I don't think, at that price, you should be to concerned what brand/model you choose but most new cdp's, even at that price, will be way better than an ancient CD63SE. As always, my opinion only and I used to own one ...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Marantz! the 54 is smooth,warm but pacey, 63 se will be as good as it gets for around £60 and 67 mk2 is a tad better on resolution but nearer to £100. If you look around hard enough, the 63ki can be had not much more than £120! still a Bargain imo. I have 5 Marantz in the house and all of them work perfectly regardless of age. I don't agree with all newer cd player sound better than older ones at all btw although the risk of transports give up the ghost is always there no matter which 2nd hand brand you will go for.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
As ever Thaiman, we are in agreement. Marantz stuff ages well, lots of cd50s out there still going strong, and great sound too. The Rotel units are also good kit and well put together. The one brand I'd steer clear of secondhand for cdp's is Nad, the transports have a tendency to give up quite early in life.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts