What upgrade path

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My hi fi has been a bit unloved for the past few years and after a few years and having older eqipment I'm in need of an upgrade.

The kit I'm intending to keep using is;

2 x Musical Fidelity X A 50 monoblock power amps

1 x Musical Fidelity X A 1 Integrated amp to bi amp maybe

So as a source I'm planning to use my PC which is in an adjoining room but can easily be connected up, along with the Remote App on my iPad 3.

Need to know what sort of DAC and speakers are recommended and is this the best solution.

Also, how do I add surround to this, used to have (may still) a Yamaha processor, are these still viable?

A

Anonymous

Bit of both really, looking at getting something of similar quality to my amps I guess (although quite old now), so not sure how much it'll cost to be honest.

DAC and speakers I think, is it worth ditching the idea of a CD player and spending more on a DAC?

topbloke55

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
The Power Amps were good in there time and I would image they can still hold there own, I found a review online from Grampahone and they tested them with Rogers £1300 speakers and the review was very positive and they had no problem driving them.

Interesting you mention CD player, the current Audiolab offerings are very popular and you get either opt for the M-DAC which can act as a preamp also. Or you can go for the 8200CDQ qhich gives you the DAC, Premap and Cd player all in one. Both these get rave reviews.

The speakers will come down to personal taste, I for example have Linn speakers which I realy like and ar every open, I know others prefer the B&W sound. Best bets it get down to your local hifi shop and audition a few sets of speakers. I woudl not worry about taknig your amps with you, but if they have the Audiolba it wil help give a feel for the sound.

Hope that helps?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts