What to go for? Marantz, Cambridge, something else?

pogologo

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Time to upgrade the mcr-610 which now feels somewhat flat and I feel like I need something with a little more power to it.

I have had a listen to the new pm6000 UK edition and whilst in the shop was "persuaded" to try the Cambridge cxa60. Both sounded good to my ears but was still unsure either way, but I don't know why.

They were tested with Dali Zensor 5 which I already own and felt paired the best with the mcr-610. I would like to keep these so need to pair carefully.

I have a chrome cast audio that I will stream from the network and probably less than 1 in 1000 albums I listen to is on cd.

I will look at getting a CD player/transport though and the cd5005 looks like good value for money too at the moment.

Music styles are generally 60s (Beatles, stones etc) but I also have a large collection of classical and 1930s to 2010s.

Have quite a collection of vinyl so would be good to add a turntable at some point too.

What do we feel about these two amps and should I be considering something else? The rega looks like it may not have enough inputs to satisfy my needs.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Until I read your post I hadn’t even realised Marantz had released a UK edition of this amplifier (the PM6006). I’d seen the reviews of the matching CD player however.

Have now found at least one dealer saying it is “coming soon” so you’re lucky to have heard one. That said, there may not be a huge difference between the two amps, so maybe focus on the facilities. I know Marantz have good phono stages which will matter if you’re getting a turntable. The non U.K. versions look very good value now.

Other than that I can’t be much help!

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Maybe change speakers? Because I dont think power is the problem, mcr610 should have enough power to drive the zensor 5 just fine. My old mcr603 did well with my Zensor 7. From that point of view you will need to spend more to make a worthwhile upgrade, pm600x seems like a sideway move. CXA would be my choice out of the two in this situation.

pogologo said:
Time to upgrade the mcr-610 which now feels somewhat flat and I feel like I need something with a little more power to it.

I have had a listen to the new pm6000 UK edition and whilst in the shop was "persuaded" to try the Cambridge cxa60. Both sounded good to my ears but was still unsure either way, but I don't know why.

They were tested with Dali Zensor 5 which I already own and felt paired the best with the mcr-610. I would like to keep these so need to pair carefully.

I have a chrome cast audio that I will stream from the network and probably less than 1 in 1000 albums I listen to is on cd.

I will look at getting a CD player/transport though and the cd5005 looks like good value for money too at the moment.

Music styles are generally 60s (Beatles, stones etc) but I also have a large collection of classical and 1930s to 2010s.

Have quite a collection of vinyl so would be good to add a turntable at some point too.

What do we feel about these two amps and should I be considering something else? The rega looks like it may not have enough inputs to satisfy my needs.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Pretty sure the Cambridge doesn't have a phono stage so if you are looking at a TT in the future and unless you are going to factor in an external phono preamp then your choice is limited somewhat.

The Marantz is good and has a good phono stage, either this or perhaps one of the Denon amps might be shortlisted.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Both your present MCR and the pm6006 will have a similar sound signature, as they both use the same hdam circuits. So even if you go for the pm6006, the flatness that you are presently complaining of, will still persist.

As compared to marantz's warm presentation, the Cambridge audio will have more punch, as per available reviews. So if I were in your shoes, I'd go for cxa60 for a new punchy sound for that sense of novelty. And the extra power of the cxa60 will also control the zensor's better. However you'd have to add an external phono box for the turntable. But again this is not much of a disadvantage, as there are plenty available at all budgets. And a seperate phono box will usually be better than the marantz's inbuilt one. So would be win-a-win for me. All the best :)

pogologo

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your replies so far. What is wrong with the DAC of the Cambridge? It seems like quite a fundamental part of the product for it to be no good.

D

Deleted member 108165

newlash09 said:
a seperate phono box will usually be better than the marantz's inbuilt one. So would be win-a-win for me.

Not so my friend unless one intends to spend upwards of £400... been there done that. Marantz tend to have very good MM phono stages.

maroonbells

Sep 18, 2017
Visit site
It is an old chip, I find it grating on my ears, flat and mushy compared to my Mojo. Ironically because of the forwardness it is quite good for AV though!

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
pogologo said:
Thanks for your replies so far. What is wrong with the DAC of the Cambridge? It seems like quite a fundamental part of the product for it to be no good.

There's nothing wrong with the DAC. I'd use it.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Your right to get rid of the marantz. It's dull and boring and to replace it with another one no way. I would looking at a Arcam a29 on eBay at £500 to £600 which is a great match for your Dali and will give you excitement and pleasurable listening experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts