What Speakers Should I Buy If Any

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just replaced my Denon UD-M31 CD receiver for the new Marantz M-CR502.

The Denon came with Baby Mission speakers that I have connected to the Marantz using Chord Carnival Silverscrean speaker cable.

Should I buy the Tannoy Mercury F1 customs as recommended in What Hifi July 2009 test or buy the new Wharfedale Diamonds 10 series. My speakers are on the sideboard and have no room for stands.

Would the improvement in sound quality from the Tannoys or Wharfedales be actually worth the cost as I am happy with the sound from the Missions.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Woody

Cliff1

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
If your happy with the Missions,why change.Have you thought about the Wharfedale 9.1s.

.I have a similar issue,but i'm not happy with my MS 902i at the moment which is why i'm looking.

You mention the Wharfedale 10.1s ,at £199.00,i've looked at these & am wondering if the advances made are worth £100.00 more than the 9.1s. at the moment.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
should the 10.1 provide more detail on treble and midrange then it is worth the extra.like the new avianos I also think they are more of a move sideways on the 902i

Cliff1

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Just read the review on the Avianos,sounds good,the treble is apparently very controlled,which is my issue with the 902is,so will take a look.

A

Anonymous

Not Thought about the cheaper wharfedales might go for the Tannoys as advised but to be honest they don't look that good.

Cheers for taking the time to reply

Woody

matthewpiano

I'd stick with what you've got. The Tannoys will be a sideways move at best and the Wharfedales really would need to be on proper stands to give their best.

If you like the sound you're hearing spend the money on more music instead. Its much better value for money!!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply the Aviano 1 are best on stands which I don't want to buy also at £250 their £50 more than the new Wharfedales. so I am Not sure about them but I do like how they look.

Woody

A

Anonymous

I might yet stick to what I have just fancied a change and something new at a reasonable price my Missions are 7 years old.

Thanks for your help

Woody

T

the record spot

If you want a low-cost, low risk option, the outgoing Wharfedale 9.1s are £99 at Richer Sounds currently and they also had Tannoy F1s for about the same not so long ago.

A

Anonymous

I would not recommend Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs to anyone without stands and plenty of space to position them properly. Mine are on stands and away from the back wall but there is furniture to the outside of both of them. As a result, their bass is boomy and their tunefulness and rhythmic performance are significantly impaired. In this location my Wharfedale Valdus 100SEs outperform them, although in a fair contest the F1s do almost everything better than the Wharfedales.

In view of this, putting F1s on a sideboard is probably not a good idea.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply my Missions are on two seperate sideboards both a metre long which are pushed together and they are 9inch from the back wall.

They sound good to me but having not heard owt else I suppose they would.

Stands would only make an all ready cluttered room in my apartment more so.

I would rather spend the extra £100 or so and get a new product IE the new Wharfedales then the old ones. I set myself a £200 budget which the Wharfedales are.

But Im seriously thinking of keeping what I have.

I just wondered if the new Wharfedales had been out when What Hifi did their test in July whether they would have matched them instead of the customs.

Woody

T

the record spot

Ian Wood:
Thanks for your reply my Missions are on two seperate sideboards both a metre long which are pushed together and they are 9inch from the back wall.

They sound good to me but having not heard owt else I suppose they would.

Stands would only make an all ready cluttered room in my apartment more so.

I would rather spend the extra £100 or so and get a new product IE the new Wharfedales then the old ones. I set myself a £200 budget which the Wharfedales are.

But Im seriously thinking of keeping what I have.

I just wondered if the new Wharfedales had been out when What Hifi did their test in July whether they would have matched them instead of the customs.

Woody

What makes you think a new product automatically improves on the outgoing one? If the Wharfedale 9.1 picked up 5 star review and was shortlisted in an awards issue, that doesn't mean it's suddenly less good overnight on the basis of Wharfedale bringing out the 10.1 - you could, of course, always compare the two perhaps?

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I had Mission speakers and was very pleased with them.

If you want to change speakers, bring yours to a dealer and compare them with the Wharfy's.

I would suggest you to listen to Dynaudio and Spendor to, i really liked those speakers to.

A

Anonymous

hi,

i own a marantz m-cr502 too. i bought a pair of bose201 for it. it sounds clean and natural (but im still in search of ways to improve it. maybe the cable, speaker..etc). i just realized - since i had been active in this forums - that there are speakers that are equally good, or better than bose201, which may be cheaper. i looking forward trying floorstandings. all i can say is that don't be in a hurry. try as much speakers as possible. few hundred bucks difference is worth sacrificing for better speakers...than regret and upgrade later.

regards.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts