What Speakers? Kef or Mission?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking to buy some speakers - my amp is a Marantz PM7001.

I'm tempted by the Kef iQ10's or the Mission 790's.

I've heard the amp with a decent pair of Mission's once - and thought it was amazing, I'm not sure the exact model though but I'd guess around the same price bracket as the 790's.

But the Mission 790 review on WhatHiFi is troubling me.

I used to have Wharfdale Diamond 9.1's (WhatHiFi highly recommend them) but I was pretty disappointed after hearing the amp connected to the Mission's. I've also used the amp with I think Gale MK2 (that's something to do with Kef?) - which actually sounded better than the Wharfdale's.

Anyway - just wondered what people thought...

Oh - also - if the speaker's say best input Watt is "10 - 100" - and the amp's output Watts is 70 per speaker - does that mean I should look for speakers that have a best input of 70 or 140 Watts?

Thanks

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Don't worry about WHF awards they are only a guide as it is you ears that count. It would appear to me if you like the Missions then stick with those. I have heard the Wharfedale 9.1 and KEF iq30 and preferred the KEFs but this was partened with the Arcam Mini Solo. I have also heard the new Wharfedale Diamond 10 with this system but I preferred the older 9.1 to them. Try also Mezzo 2 and Dali Lektors. Richer sounds stock these and normally have a demo room.

The most important is the ohms part of the speaker where generally it ranges from 6-8 but can be lower or higher. A 40 watt amp at 8 ohms would double at 4 ohms (80 watts) for loudspeaker and would approximately be 60 watt at 6 ohms.

But in answer to your question the speaker can handle between 10 - 100 watts per channel so a 70 watt per channel Amp would be fine but check on the ohm impedance figure first.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts