what secondhand cd player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i have a arcam alpha 9 amp and rogers ls55 speakers at the moment i have an upgraded marantz cd67 se with a musical fidelity xdac im thinking of upgradeing the cd as i feel its a bit light in the bass dept.Would a alpha 9 be better or something else

david

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Hello David, you have a nice cd player their, changing it to the alpha 9 at this moment is pointless(even though the alpha 9 cd is very good). The weakest link in your system is the amp, if memory serves me write (previous owner) the amp gives you 50 watts at 8 ohms only (double check this) but the Rogers LS555's require a amp that can give them 6 ohms. They are a nice British speaker and finding the correct amp will give you a much better sonic picture.
Hope this helps.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
shooter69:but the Rogers LS555's require a amp that can give them 6 ohms..

Not too sure how an amp would give a speaker 6 ohms...

From what I recall review wise, Arcams are generally praised for their current delivery into the lower ohm's but the Rogers present a pretty flat load anyway so I'd be amazed if the 9 is struggling to drive them. I would personally be inclined to look at updating the speakers before anything else.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I don't know your speakers, but I'm sure they are fine if you're happy with them, and the Alpha 9 is a great amp more than capable of driving even difficult speakers and a 6 ohm average load is nothing out of the ordinary for it to deal with.

In terms of 2nd hand CD players maybe try for a Naim CD5i or a Cyrus to jazz things up a bit. The Arcam CD192 is supposed to be pretty good, and anecdotal evidence (I can't claim to have direct experience myself) suggests this will probably give you the sort of weight and authority that it seems you're after. I'd be cautious of the older Arcams unless you can demo and/or get advice from someone with experience on their characteristics. I used to have a CD93 and having initially impressed enough to buy one it was a bit too lethargic for me in the end.

A

Anonymous

I'm with bodfish, upgrade the speakers. With the Marantz is going through the XDAC, so all you're changing if you go for another CD player is the transport, and the Marantz uses the same Philips transport that many, if not most, CD players of that era used. The rest used Sony.

T

the record spot

Experiment with some DACs perhaps? Not just the current crop either - can you get a hold of some older ones too? Might be worth a try and needn't be horrendously expensive. From memory, all of your kit enjoyed good reviews.

Suggestions:-

Amp: add an Arcam 9P power amp

Speakers: Q Acoustics 1050i - loads of speaker for the money, punch above their weight and speaker of the year in another UK Hi-Fi mag. Superb at £360 or so.

CD: Audition some DACs as above.

A

Anonymous

The XDAC ain't short of bass. Def try out some speakers if the bass isn't enough for you. I found quite a substantial increase in bass on my SA1s when I changed from a Rotel RA03 (70W) to my Quad pre/power pair (100W). More control, deeper and more tuneful. For me, the last thing I'd change for now is your CDP arrangement.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts