What Satellite HD PVR

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
If I buy a machine that takes both DVB-C/T as well as a DVB-S/S2 feeds, such as the Gigablue HD 800 UE+, stupid question I know, but does that mean that I can record off both the DVB-C/T & DVB-S/S2 feeds?

daveh75

stevenjonas said:
The next cheapest is the Technomat TM-Nano OE HD. But, it does not have a UHF loop facility, which I think is quite useful. In any event, I suspect that your comments about the TM-800 HD would apply equally to the Nano?

No the nano uses a Broadcom MIPS based chip, the TM 800 HD was NXP based.

The OE core/Enigma2 UI all these boxes run is compiled for MIPS, getting it run on anything else means a lot of hacking and why the 800 was an absolute dog.

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm back! Am I correct that the only worthwhile linux machines that take both DVB-C/T & DVB-S/S2 feeds are the Vue+ Duo 2 & the GiGaBlue HD 800 UE+?

daveh75

stevenjonas said:
I see that the Vu+ Ultimo can also be configured to take both Satellite DVB-S/S2 & Hybrid DVB-C/T connectors. Is the Ultimo worth buying?
I was never much of a fan of the Ultimo, and its getting on a bit now...

That's a badge engineered box (same as Amiko Alien) that uses STi chipsets, and suffers the same issue as the TM 800 did (because of the non Broadcom/MIPS chip). Enigma 2 has been hacked to run on it and runs like a dog as a result.

It comes with spark installed which is OK apparently, but i have no experience of personally.

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I think I have found the answer: The newish Gigablue HD Quad Plus. Apart from all the instructions being solely in German & comming with a continental European plug, it satisfies all the other criteria & is significantly cheaper than the Vu+ Duo2. http://www.gigablue.de/portfolio-item/gigablue-hd-quad-plus/.

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I think that I may have the answer: The new GigaBlue HD Quad PLUS. At the moment it seems only to be available in Germany. I have not yet seen any reviews of it though.

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
At the last moment I have also been recomended the new Golden Interstar XPEED LX3 with 2 x DVB-S/S2 + 1 x DVB-C/T/T2 + 1 x spare tuner slot.

I have never heard of this. Does anyone have any views?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts