What satelite system offers the most HD channels?

CaptainKirk

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Not Sky or Freesat - but the ones that can pick up eveything (free channels) .

What are they called and what is the best one for receiving HD channels?

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I had a quick look at Lyngsat last night, almost all HD channels are encrypted (unsurprisingly), and most of the FTA HD channels are probably not worth watching (IMHO). Looks like you're stuck with Sky or Freesat.

daveh75

Diamond Joe said:
I had a quick look at Lyngsat last night, almost all HD channels are encrypted (unsurprisingly), and most of the FTA HD channels are probably not worth watching (IMHO). Looks like you're stuck with Sky or Freesat.

Which is why i asked the question, because on european satellite there is very little in the way of FTA HD channels and the ones that are won't have English audio. But i suspect that's not what the OP is after, i think he's asking about a certain type of box that with the right software installed and a share will decrypt pay channels, which is obviously highly illegal...

CaptainKirk

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
No, I wasn't referring to illegal decryptions etc LOL

I've heard about dish systems that pick up foreign terrestrial broadcasts as well as some free satelite channels that are out there.

I think sometimes this involves moving the dish in order to pick up these signals.

But what they are known as or referred to, I don't actually know.

Hence the question.

daveh75

FTA/Generic/Non platform specific receivers, usually used with a motorised dish or multi-sat set up (fixed dish with multiple LNBs for different satellites)

You won't pick up foreign terrestrial channels in the UK.

There's lots of FTA satellite channels in Europe recievable in the UK, but not many in HD, most won't have English audio, or content thats of interest to the average brit..Most of the content thats of interest is on Premium channels.

HD receivers start from around £70 upto £1200+ and for a motorised dish install your looking at spending anything from £200 - £400 (more if you're in London) depending on dish size, quality of kit, where its to be situated/type of mount required etc etc

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Cheaper way than a motorised dish is a multi arm set up where you have a bar with 3 or 4 LNB's on it all positioned so as to receive signals from different satellites.

Provided you have a receiver with DISCEQ ability then you should be fine.

inverto4lnbsside.jpg

The latest trend seems to be narrow feed LNB's to help isolate the different signals as seen above.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts