What NAS device would you recommend?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking for a NAS device to backup my music and data (from Windows 7 laptop). Steaming media would also be nice. Budget is up to £200 (ideally less of course).

What do you guys recommend?

A

Anonymous

I've just bought a Western Digital MyBook World Edition II 2TB and it's fantastic! It replaced a LaCie BigDisk 2TB that I was using previously and the WD is far superior. I got mine from Dabs for £204-ish?

Check out the specs on the WD website to see that it does everything you need but I'm running it on a network with a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard and a Dell PC running Windows 7 and it performs faultlessly.

Good luck!

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:sobeitjedi:Steaming media would also be nice....What do you guys recommend? N'Dubz or Pink perhaps?Shakira should do the trick

A

Anonymous

Depends on how you're going to use the NAS.

Two things to consider. First:

If you've got (or plan to get) a streaming device that relies on a software server, you'll need a NAS that can run this server. Then you'll have to choose carefully. Buying for something you're not going to use, is a waste of money.

If you just plan to use your NAS as storage and leave the streaming to a computer, you can use any hard drive with a network interface -- which might save you some bucks.

Second:

You need to decide how much storage space you'll need, and whether you want some sort of RAID functionality to secure your data.

In short, a single disc with network interface will give you one copy of your files, relatively cheap. A RAID box with two discs can give you two identical copies for higher security -- but at a higher price. A RAID box with more discs can give you more sophisticated and secure solutions, but at an ever higher price.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the helpful advice. I'll probably go for the Western Digital My Book World Edition 1TB Home Network Storage from Amazon. It's just a shame it's in white. Looks like an Apple product, and I'll never stoop so low to buy anything from Apple.

A

Anonymous

Consider the QNAP range, TS-110 and add your own hard disk...

A

Anonymous

manicm:
Fahnsen:

If you just plan to use your NAS as storage and leave the streaming to a computer, you can use any hard drive with a network interface

Such as?
any NAS such as the freecom one I have, or even a USB hard drive plugged through one of these

the disadvantage i found when i looked at the adaptors is that only one person could connect at a time which is only good if you live alone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts