What mini hi-fi system to link to my PC via usb

HybridY4K

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Hey,

I would really appreciate it if somebody could give me some advice. I'm looking to link my PC to a mini hifi system via a usb port. I currently link my PC directly to a pair of JBL LSR 305s and the sound quality is horrible. I've already done a bit of research and it seems that a lot of people are recommending the Denon DM40 which I can connect to my PC via a DAC so I can control my music directly from my PC. I'm a little stuck on the connection between the DM40 and my JBL speakers. How do I connect a bi wire speaker cable (from the Denon) to a quater inch jack input (on the JBL speakers). Also, is there an issue with double amplification of the signal (through both the DM40 and the amplified speakers) in terms of sound quality? Any help or suggestions for a different setup would be appreciated.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
From what I read you are connecting pc via headphone out socket to a pair of powered speakers.

If you buy a micro system, this powers its own type of speakers via its inbuilt amplifier, its like 2 different type of system, so you either connect your pc to powered speakers, or through a DAC to your mini hifi input and that powers its own speakers, you can't bi wire your denon to the JBLs

I imagine that if you bought an inexpensive DAC such as this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Decoder-Headphone-Amplifier-Powered-Computer/dp/B01FLYEG40/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472105803&sr=8-2&keywords=smsl+m3 you might improve your set up without the need for a mini hifi.

You can plug this to your pc, it takes over the sound on your computer, put the rca output from this to your existing speakers. I have this DAC, its not the be all end all in hifi but it is amazing value and would allow you to get much better sound than your pc currently gives. Your speakers seem to be pretty well respected, certainly as good as amy you'd get with most micro systems. Someone else may chime in with a better option

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
It does seem an odd request. Not quite sure what you're trying to achieve!

I'd imagine the OP heard a mini hifi and was trying to use existing kit so as not to have to buy all new. To be honest I used to be well up on this stuff about 15-20 years ago, and only got back into it again recently. If you are new to this there are a lot of options and it can be confusing what the best one to go with is.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
muljao said:
From what I read you are connecting pc via headphone out socket to a pair of powered speakers.

If you buy a micro system, this powers its own type of speakers via its inbuilt amplifier, its like 2 different type of system, so you either connect your pc to powered speakers, or through a DAC to your mini hifi input and that powers its own speakers, you can't bi wire your denon to the JBLs

I imagine that if you bought an inexpensive DAC such as this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Decoder-Headphone-Amplifier-Powered-Computer/dp... you might improve your set up without the need for a mini hifi.

You can plug this to your pc, it takes over the sound on your computer, put the rca output from this to your existing speakers. I have this DAC, its not the be all end all in hifi but it is amazing value and would allow you to get much better sound than your pc currently gives. Your speakers seem to be pretty well respected, certainly as good as amy you'd get with most micro systems. Someone else may chime in with a better option

That is absolutely on the money.

To be fair, virtually any usb dac will do the job, from the £25 Behringer upwards. just look at what is available in your market and get the one you fancy with the facilities you need/want.

The SMSL dac mentioned above is a decent starting point, once you start looking there are loads of options.

HybridY4K

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I'm not exactly up on all this stuff which is why I posted here. I'm not particularly bothered about the hifi facilities (DAB would have been nice but not essential). I think the DAC between my PC and speakers sounds like the best option. The only issue is how I adjust the levels (Low, Mid and High) if the sound isn't as balanced as I would like. I'm thinking of buying two DACs. One for on the move and the other to sit in my room (hopefully with a facility to adjust levels). Any suggestions for any DACs with this facility? Apologies if this seems a silly question.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You are not going to get a dac that does eq, best solurion is the software eq in your music player, change it if you need to.

Depends on what your primary sources actually are. Ie, iTunes, spotify, youtube etc.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Yes, although I have never really found much need for EQ myself.

OP - uou say DAB would be good, but TuneIn radio does most of that to a decent level.

HybridY4K

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks again everyone. My primary sources are WAV files ripped from my CD collection. It's kind of stupid that I've been buying and ripping WAVs for years now but for the last 2 years I've been listening to them directly from my PC. Anyhow, I've plumped for this bad boy https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000KW2YEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
HybridY4K said:
Thanks again everyone. My primary sources are WAV files ripped from my CD collection. It's kind of stupid that I've been buying and ripping WAVs for years now but for the last 2 years I've been listening to them directly from my PC. Anyhow, I've plumped for this bad boy https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000KW2YEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01....

But will do the job nicely. Use the level controls on the speakers to give you a sensible range on the volume in your media player, around 75 - 80% for normal use.

The '202 has a headphone socket, with volume control, built in. Quality is not as good as the line out, but ok for general use.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts