What is the use of... Standfloor speakers...

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Dear All

Apart from space and maybe aesthetics/price/room size (for speakers to work)

could someone explain me WHY should someone choose standfloor speakers instead of floorstanders? :wall:

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Standfloor speakers? :wall:

Normally referred to as bookshelf speakers, which I suppose could be confusing because rather than being used on bookshelves the recommendation is to use them on stands on the floor.

Sometimes referred to as monitors, which also seems like a misappropriation, and anyway, the recommendation is to use them on stands on the floor.

Stands on the floor? Sure some may refer to them as standmounted speakers, but I suppose standfloor speakers makes sense. Still, seems a little too confusing considering what floorstanders means...

I'm going to suggestg space/ positioning reasons (bookshelf speaker on a bookshelf or sideboard), budget - e.g. I think a 500 poiund bookshelf speaker will sound better than a 500 pound floorstander because the same amount of money doesn't have to be stretched so far due to a smaller cabinet and fewer drivers. They can often also have advantages in terms of speed and imaging. In smaller rooms the bass from a floorstander might cause problems where a bookshelf speaker may be ok (or at least less problematice).

A

Anonymous

I believe that it is easier to make a good standmount speaker than a floor stander. The larger cabinet of a floorstander helps produce deeper bass, and more of it, but the extra volume means the drivers are harder to control. Hence, you may find that a standmount has a tighter more controlled sound with better imaging, and a floorstander has a fuller sound with a deeper stronger bass. Off course this is very generalistic and there are loads of exceptions.

Only real answer is to use your ears and choose your speakers carefully considering not only the type of sound you are looking at but also your room acoustics.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I think this is correct. You'll get fuller, more expansive sound out of floor standers, but more precise, detailed sound with stand mounted monitors (also agree this is a misnomer).

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol.....er....space is all I can think of, if putting these speakers on stands one may aswell get floor standers imo, as they take up the same foot print. .... then it boils down to preference of sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts