What hifi, where?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently bought the WHFSAV guide to 2009 for the pricely sum of £4.99 fully expecting to see 2009 recommendations for hifi seperates etc. What a huge dissapointment! There was not a single hifi seperate review in the magazine, I've looked right the way through and not a mention of the latest amps, cd players, or speakers. Plenty of stuff about wifi and home cinema, but not a shred about hifi. If this is how you mean to go on then I for one will not be forking out the ridiculously over-priced cost for a magazine that's title is at best misleading and worst blatant misrepresentation.
emotion-12.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have the 'WHFS&V Ultimate Guide to New Technology 2009' (December. £4.99)

I bought it because it was a guide to 'New Technology' (DACs, streamers, wifi, iPods, Blu-ray etc etc.) and so I did not expect to see much 'traditional' stuff.

It's all in the title. The cover clearly highlights that the issue will contain...

Media Players
Blu-ray players
Smart TVs
Internet Radios
Music Servers
Media phones

(I am assuming you have the same one, but if you are referring to a whole different 2009 Guide then please ignore the above and accept my apology.)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
chebby:I have the 'WHFS&V Ultimate Guide to New Technology 2009' (December. £4.99)

I bought it because it was a guide to 'New Technology' (DACs, streamers, wifi, iPods, Blu-ray etc etc.) and so I did not expect to see much 'traditional' stuff.

It's all in the title. The cover clearly highlights that the issue will contain...

Media Players
Blu-ray players
Smart TVs
Internet Radios
Music Servers
Media phones

(I am assuming you have the same one, but if you are referring to a whole different 2009 Guide then please ignore the above and accept my apology.)

If we're all talking about the same thing i was dissapointed to, but that also may have been down to a missinterpretation on my part - i just didnt think there was much specific info on actual new tech coming out in 2009.

However, i agree with your reply Chevy. And shortly, im sure a staffer will reply with something...good.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Sign of the times I'm afraid. High end hifi (or even mid-level) is becoming more and more of a niche product. I still buy CD's and still occasionally play them but I'll be honest, since buying a Squeezebox and ripping my music to FLAC, the CD player is gathering dust. I still like the sound but you can't beat the convenience of choosing from your entire library on an ipod touch with cover art etc.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Mark Lovell:What a huge dissapointment! There was not a single hifi seperate review in the magazine, I've looked right the way through and not a mention of the latest amps, cd players, or speakers.

Here is a guide to 'Ultimate Guides'....

http://whathifi.com/UltimateGuides/

As you can see (bottom of linked page) there are going to be six issues each year and they will each concentrate on different categories of hifi/av.

I think you were unlucky and just bought the wrong one.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Mark Lovell:at best misleading and worst blatant misrepresentation.
emotion-12.gif

What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision Ultimate Guide to New Technology - that's what it says on the cover, and the pictures and contents page make it pretty clear what it's about.

128250b95gt.jpg

As pointed out above, we do six of these each year, each one covering a sector of the market. This one is a look forward to the way we think home entertainment will shape up in the next twelve months.

Sorry if you didn't get what you wanted from the magazine, but I really do think the title and cover make the contents pretty clear.

T

the record spot

Personally, I look forward to the day we get the WHFS&V Guide to Shellac 1909.

A

Anonymous

Oooh, you could do WHFS&V Ultimate Guide to Vintage Equipment...
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I've got to go along with the majority on this one... the title is quite clear. Being here on the West Coast of Canada we always have to wait a while before they show up in the local shops... I'm looking forward to this one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts