What HD Plasma? Budget of £900 inc Wall Mount Bracket

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Good Evening.

Firstly I'd like to thank those who contribute to this forum there is a wealth of information so much so my mind is going crazy, this is my first post but I shall attempt to put in as much information as possible.

I've recently move into a new property and I'm looking a HD TV for the living room.

The following devices will need to be connected:

Mac Mini - HDMI/DVI/Composite/S-Video
Sony DVP-NS 700V DVD/SACD Player
Sony STR-DE475 AV Amplifier (Composite Video Monitor Out Put Only)
Sky+ (Not yet ordered so not sure on connections)

I'm happy for each of the Video devices to be connected directly to the television and use the amplifier for audio switching only as I want to get the best quality video from each of the devices.

The room is 19feet/16feet. the TV is to be wall mounted and will be mounted above the fireplace the sitting distance from the fireplace is around 8' 6".
2408695916_3008b3a4ef_o.jpg

My primary use for the screen will be normal SD broadcasts from the Sky+ box, DVD's (later on I will be getting a blue ray player/DVD recorder), some computer use from the mac mini with a wireless keyboard but the main use of the mini is for my DVD collection that I'm slowly importing as well as my large music collection, I intend to use Front Row/Media Central as the front end to my music and video/tv shows from the states.

I have been looking at 37"/42" sizes, should I be looking at support for 1080p?

What brands do you recommend and what should I avoid?

Should I look for Plasma or LCD from what I understand Plasma are better at producing darker scenes and do a better job of smoothing SD broadcasts and fast action movement.

Any information you can provide would be gret.

Many Thanks

Rich

JSM15

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
Hello RD,

Firstly i would say go Plasma. I currently have a LCD which i am replacing with a Plasma - the bigger you go i think the more you need Plasma over LCD. Better motion & blacks etc.

From a viewing distance of 8ft i would say definitely 37" Plasma which means Panasonic as they are the only makers of 37" Plasmas! Therefore you want the 37PX80 (£612 delivered).

From your graphic (very nice by the way!), i see that you could move that couch back somewhat, in which case a 42" would perhaps be better once you get to around the 12+ feet mark. At 42" you have a wide choice - Panasonic 42PX80 (£699) or the Full HD version 42PZ80 (around £870), also i really like the new LG - 42PG6000 Plasma (HD Ready) which you can pick up for £718.94 delivered from xomy.com (early reviews of the set are very good). The LG is a lot nicer looking and thinner (good for wall mounting).

Oh yeah and Sky+ is Scart connection (possibly other connections but i know it doesnt have HDMI - only Sky HD has that connection).

Cheers,

JSM

A

Anonymous

Thanks JSM

I wish I could move the couch back a bit further but i haven't drawn in the dining table/chairs in my diagram yet which limits me somewhat from moving it back any further( by the way its drawn in Google Sketchup ).

I shall take a look at those screens and come back with any more questions (i'll try and not ask to many ;) )

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
I would agree that a 42 or 37 PX 80 plasma would probably be your best bet. Given your viewing distance I would tend to go for the 37. However, from your drawing you appear to have a very sharp upward viewing angle form the sofa to the area above the fire place, so it will be essential to check that whatever TV you go for can support that viewing angle without loss of picture quality. I think that the Panasonics will, but it might be a bit difficult to replicate you viewing position in a high street show room.

Depending on your viewing habits and if your budget can stretch to it, if you are investing in Sky equipment from scratch it would probably make sense to go for HD from the start. The amount of content available will only increase and the HD versions of Channel 4 and Sky1 already offer a vastly superior picture even when not actually broadcasting HD material. (Having just watched the Sky Box Office HD version of "The Assasination Of Jesse James" I'm not sure I will want to rent another DVD again.) Otherwise you will have to invest in Blu ray equipment or similar to get the full benifit of your new TV. (Although I suppose that you could use your Mac for HD content)

A

Anonymous

Thanks tvmog, i'm umming and arring on the 37"/42" at the moment I think it will come down to price.

As for the viewing angle I agree that it is a little high but my intention is to get a tiltable wall bracket to alleviate this problem. The mantle is 42" high so hopefully wont be too bad. Anyway if worse comes to the worst who needs a dining table anyway there is always the use of a tray for my dinner :) and I'll move the sofa backwards!

By the way are there any brackets I should really be looking for or particularly avoiding?

I'd love to go straight for SKY HD but the addition in subscription charges at the moment is not something I really want to do, agreed I'll be using the Mac Mini for some HD content but I shall be buying a new Blu Ray player in the next few months along with a new AV amp so that will help on the HD sources.

I really do appreciate everyones help.

Rich

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="rdsaunders"]By the way are there any brackets I should really be looking for or particularly avoiding[/quote]

Hi Rich

Good advice from others here on which TV to buy, and as for brackets, Ixos and Omnimount make a good range. Both are worth checking out.

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
If it's any help I sit 10ft from my 37inch and I really wouldn't want the picture any bigger. At 8-9ft with a 42inch you would be struggling to take the whole screen in. So unless you are one of those people who likes to sit in the front row at the cinema I'd stick at 37. (not that you'll ever need to go to the cinema again with one of these and a blu ray player)

JSM15

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="rdsaunders"]
Thanks tvmog, i'm umming and arring on the 37"/42" at the moment I think it will come down to price.

[/quote]

Rich, best prices currently are;

37PX80..........£606 (using coupon AW20) Dixons

37PX80......... £610, 42PX80.......£694.39 Soundandvisiononline.com

37PX80..........£612, 42PX80.......£699.00 Ajelectronics.com

37PX80..........£615, 42PX80.......£699.00 Letsgodigital.co.uk (incl. next day delivery + 30day moneyback g'tee)

Also the very flash looking (& specced) LG 42PG6000 is £718.94 from xomy.com (incl. next day delivery).

Hope this helps!

JSM

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Dixons wil also do you a very good discount on a wall bracket if purchased with the TV. - You might be able to get that blu ray player sooner than you think.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for everyones help on the forum.

I have now purchased the Panasonic TH-37PX80B model from Sound and Vision and I'm extremely happy.

The Mac mini is up and running nicely and is performing well, I just want to get the first 200 hours out of the way and I can relax a little more.

Thanks again

A

Anonymous

A good tip is to watch a lot of the Sky channels on zoom as this tends to eliminate the logos. I know it can affect your viewing but only for the first week or two.

Fortunately been off work with an injury, so was able to ensure no MTV etc on during the day but I found after the odd times when a logo was left on (I did have to sleep) there was no retention at all !

Enjoy your PX

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts