What happens at hi fi shows?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As the title says really, i am new to this and have never been to a show like this. I guess there will be demo rooms so do we book our place and time when we arrive? Just wanted an idea of what happens thanks Paul.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well it all ends up like this for the newcomers...

But seriously... Most demo rooms are open and you don't have to book - just wait your turn if it's a tad busy. Our demo at shows tends to involve queuing at times, but with dems every half an hour, there's never long to wait.

A

Anonymous

OMG!! Claire, now i am nervous, more nervous than before lol! Glad i scrolled down and i guess that pic was last years What Hifi demo he he!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"]

I want to know what library of pics the WHF team have at their disposal! It seems no matter what the subject, they can wheel out an appropriate picture!!
[/quote]

Library, you say???

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="buddha"]OMG!! Claire, now i am nervous, more nervous than before lol! Glad i scrolled down and i guess that pic was last years What Hifi demo he he![/quote]

Don't be - it's a lot of fun.

From years of experience I'd say comfortable shoes, dump your coat in the cloakroom if it's cold outside, as it gets pretty warm up in the show corridors where all the demonstrations rooms are, and by all means bring some music or a movie you want to see a bit of - when it gets quieter later in the afternoon you may find some rooms willing to play requests, but most of them will be running demonstration material chosen to show the equipment off to best advantage.

Oh, and don't bother with the lifts at the Marriott, other than to get you up to the top floor of the show from where you can work down using the stairs. You can waste half of the show waiting for lifts, only to find they're full when they do arrive!

That's about it...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reassurance Andrew, it was only Claire that scared me really. Can't wait to lose my Hifi show cherry.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="buddha"]it was only Claire that scared me really[/quote]

YVW. And don't worry, she scares me sometimes, too.

[quote user="buddha"]Can't wait to lose my Hifi show cherry[/quote]

If you're going to do that, I think you should - in the immortal phrase - 'get a room' .

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
From my limited experience you wander round wishing that the rooms had a little more sound insulation to reduce the impact of the REL demo 3 floors away

The other thing I recall from the last time I was at Bristol (which was a few years ago to be honest), was that the price for couples was significantly lower than two individuals. I was there with my boss, and he was rather concerned when I grabbed his hand in the queue but did appreciate the unexpected change when we got past the pay point:)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gyp"]The other thing I recall from the last time I was at Bristol (which was a few years ago to be honest), was that the price for couples was significantly lower than two individuals. I was there with my boss, and he was rather concerned when I grabbed his hand in the queue but did appreciate the unexpected change when we got past the pay point:)[/quote]

I've never encountered that at Bristol, unless they used to have a family ticket. Maybe you were checking into a room, not the show - in which case I trust you and your boss had a fun time.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

YVW. And don't worry, she scares me sometimes, too.
[/quote]

Glad it's not just me then lol!

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="andrew everard"]Oh, and don't bother with the lifts at the Marriott, other than to get you up to the top floor of the show from where you can work down using the stairs. You can waste half of the show waiting for lifts, only to find they're full when they do arrive!

That's about it...

[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment, haven't been to the show in years, because the first time I took my wife to the Bristol show we only managed to get around the ground floor and two or three other floors and it's a bit hard to use stairs in a wheelchair. It was worth it though because at one point we came out of the lift quite close to Chord Electronics demonstration-one day, if i win the lottery,,,

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I can't make it to this one but for those who lucky enough should make sure to visit Chapter, LSA and Leema rooms....heavenly HiFi

A

Anonymous

Mark if you go i will give you a push mate as i think i owe you one.

I will make a note of your suggested demo's Thaiman thanks.

Is friday the quietest day to go? as i am considering taking the day off work if saturday and sunday will be that busy.

Paul

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts